This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8213 / 51°49'16"N
Longitude: -3.0169 / 3°1'0"W
OS Eastings: 330006
OS Northings: 214114
OS Grid: SO300141
Mapcode National: GBR F5.WJ93
Mapcode Global: VH796.NHF5
Entry Name: ,1,Monk Street,,,,
Listing Date: 1 November 1974
Last Amended: 10 November 2005
Source ID: 86855
Location: Part of the group of historic buildings near the parish church of St. Mary's in a street branching off the main commercial centre of Abergavenny.
Community: Abergavenny (Y Fenni)
Built-Up Area: Abergavenny
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
This is an architecturally remarkable building which for its grandeur of scale is unlike anything else in Abergavenny. It is difficult to date because it has design characteristics from either the later C17 or the early C19, but appears to have been built as a unit and so is much likelier to be nearer the latter date than the former. The use of the giant order in the manner of Inigo Jones is unusual, but a part of the remarkable effect created is because the ground falls on both elevations, with the Monk Street one in particular resulting in a giant doorway at the far end of the elevation. None of the joinery is earlier than c1820, so perhaps c1825 is the best estimate for the whole. The maps of 1760 and 1801 both show the site as built on, Coxe in 1801 shows a large building as now but apparently with a central courtyard suggesting that it has been replaced (but see Interior). Further evidence supporting c1825 is suggested by the clear heightening of the chimney stack of the adjoining but much lower No. 46, which probably dates from the C17. Since the early C19 there has been little alteration above the ground floor, and that has two C20 and one late C19 frontages.
Interior not inspected at resurvey except for the ground floor where No. 1 and No. 49 Cross Street interiors have been amalgamated into a single bar/restaurant area with nothing historic visible.
Included for its special interest as a probably early C19 development of considerable architectural value which is part of a strong group with the historic buildings in Cross Street.
Other nearby listed buildings