This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4932 / 51°29'35"N
Longitude: -3.159 / 3°9'32"W
OS Eastings: 319635
OS Northings: 177780
OS Grid: ST196777
Mapcode National: GBR KNG.MP
Mapcode Global: VH6F7.6QBN
Plus Code: 9C3RFRVR+7C
Entry Name: Milepost outside No. 243 Albany Road
Listing Date: 21 September 2018
Source ID: 87772
Building Class: Transport
Location: On the N side of Albany Road, almost opposite the junction with Roath Court Place.
Community: Roath (Y Rhath)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Shown on the 1st ed OS map of 1886, when the Albany Road area had yet to be developed for housing. Probably dating to the early/mid C19 and part of the Cardiff-Caerphilly turnpike operated by the Cardiff District Turnpike trust under a Turnpike Act of 1827. Similar mileposts survive along the Turnpike network in Cardiff.
Cast iron milepost, triangular form facing to Albany Road. Painted white with black lettering, slight plinth and beaded edging. Chamfered top with ‘CAERPHILLY 7 ¹’, left side with ‘NEWPORT ROAD ¼ MILE’, right side with ‘MERTHYR ROAD 2 MILES’.
Included for its special architectural interest as a good surviving example of an early/mid C19 turnpike milepost, one of a series of similar mileposts in the Cardiff area.
Other nearby listed buildings