This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7076 / 50°42'27"N
Longitude: -3.1223 / 3°7'20"W
OS Eastings: 320848
OS Northings: 90370
OS Grid: SY208903
Mapcode National: GBR PC.RVYL
Mapcode Global: FRA 47B6.RDG
Entry Name: Bovey House Including Outbuilding Adjoining North
Listing Date: 11 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1333514
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87726
Location: Beer, East Devon, Devon, EX12
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Beer
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Beer St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 29 SW BEER BOVEY LANE
11.9.51 Bovey House including
Manor house used as an hotel. Of medieval origin. Largely rebuilt and extended in
early and late C16 and altered again in the 1660s. Once the seat of the Walrond
family. Large stone house with slate roof with stone coping to gable ends.
Asymmetrical plan. Four bay east front. The left hand two storeys are said to have
been reduced in height in 1868. The right two bays are three storeys with
stringcourses and parapet and possibly of earlier origin with a moulded two-centred
arch doorway on left hand return. Ovolo moulded mullion windows with hood moulds,
ground floor left two six-light windows with transoms. Moulded lead rainwater head
West wing at rear: two storeys and attic with three gables and gabled projection in
Interior: The hall, now the drawing room and formerly two rooms has two late C17
moulded plaster ceilings and moulded panelling with cornices and chimneypieces. The
dining room has linenfold panelling with a frieze with medallion busts and an inlaid
overmantel. First floor room has very interesting C17 moulded plaster coffered
ceiling with a large oak tree in the central oval surrounded by smaller trees and a
small equestrian figures. This room has moulded panelling and pilastered overmantel
to four-centred arch chimney piece. Including outbuilding adjoining north which
contains a large timber tread wheel for raising water from a well.
Ref: Country Life Vol 30, page 674.
Listing NGR: SY2084890370
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings