History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Wickham War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in West Wickham, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3712 / 51°22'16"N

Longitude: -0.0088 / 0°0'31"W

OS Eastings: 538700

OS Northings: 165457

OS Grid: TQ387654

Mapcode National: GBR L8.GG8

Mapcode Global: VHGRM.SSQP

Entry Name: West Wickham War Memorial

Listing Date: 13 January 2017

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1432790

Location: Bromley, London, BR4

County: London

District: Bromley

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Locality: West Wickham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: West Wickham St John

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Description

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: constructed of granite.

DESCRIPTION: Celtic cross on a double stone plinth set on a mound. Names of fallen are embossed on 3 bronze plaques fixed to the rear and sides of the base.

Inscription: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE/ MEN OF WEST WICKHAM/ WHO SERVED AND FELL/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918./ THIS INSCRIPTION IS ADDED IN REMEMBRANCE/ OF THOSE MEN AND WOMEN WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ 1939 - 1945.
Other sides: (NAMES).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. Erected by Messrs Farmer and Brindley, on land donated by Mrs McAndrew, West Wickham was one such memorial. The memorial was originally located in the High Street, near Sherwood Avenue. It was unveiled on Sunday 12 June 1921 by Lt-Colonel Vansittart, one time commander of the 8th Battalion Royal West Kent Regiment, and the dedication was by the Rector, the Rev. H Bertie Roberts. The 'Last Post' was sounded by Sergeant Bartlett, Corporal Winch and Corporal Doughty of the 1st Cadet Battalion, RWK Regiment.

The memorial was moved in 1939 to Corkscrew Hill and re-dedicated by the Bishop of Croydon on 22 December 1939. An additional plaque was unveiled on Sunday 10 November 1946, during the Remembrance Day Parade by the Deputy Mayor of Beckenham Councillor TW Mallett. The service was conducted by the Rector of St John's the Rev. JP Gough and the Rev. TM Morrow (Methodist Church). Mr Grover of the British Legion and Home Guard Association sounded the 'Last Post'.

Reasons for Listing

West Wickham War Memorial, unveiled in 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet elegant memorial cross.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.