This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0257 / 51°1'32"N
Longitude: -3.2543 / 3°15'15"W
OS Eastings: 312127
OS Northings: 125893
OS Grid: ST121258
Mapcode National: GBR LT.HRCH
Mapcode Global: FRA 462D.MZ7
Entry Name: War Memorial in churchyard of St Michael's Church
Listing Date: 2 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442114
Location: Milverton, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4
District: Taunton Deane
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Milverton
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
First World War memorial, erected in 1921, with further inscriptions added after the Second World War.
First World War memorial, erected in 1921; with further inscriptions added after the Second World War.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands just inside the W gate to the churchyard and is carved from granite. It comprises a Latin cross with foliate terminals to the arms and a tapering, chamfered shaft which has broach stops to its lower part and is set into a square plinth. There is an inscription in relief on the W face of the plinth which reads TO THE / GLORY OF GOD / AND IN HONOURED MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF THIS PARISH / WHO LOST THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WARS / 1914-1919. / 1939-1945. The N and S sides record the names, rank and regiment of Fallen from the First World War; the names of those who died in the Second World War are carved on the E side under the dates 1939 - 1945. The plinth stands on a three-stepped, octagonal base.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of war memorials erected across England. One such memorial was erected in the churchyard of the Church of St Michael in Milverton to commemorate the thirty men of the parish who lost their lives during the conflict. Further inscriptions were added after the Second World War in memory of the 10 Fallen of that conflict. It was carved by Messrs Harry Herns & Sons, and was unveiled by Brigadier General Frith and dedicated by the Bishop of Taunton on 13 February 1921. In 1990 the lettering was cleaned and re-blacked.
The war memorial in the churchyard of the Church of St Michael, Milverton, unveiled in 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: as a well-executed and well-carved memorial incorporating a Latin cross;
* Group value: with the Grade I-listed Church of St Michael, and other churchyard monuments including two chest tombs and a medieval cross (all Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings