History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Corpus Christi and Sidney Sussex Boathouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2108 / 52°12'38"N

Longitude: 0.1325 / 0°7'56"E

OS Eastings: 545798

OS Northings: 259099

OS Grid: TL457590

Mapcode National: GBR L79.B9R

Mapcode Global: VHHK3.7PWJ

Plus Code: 9F42646J+8X

Entry Name: Corpus Christi and Sidney Sussex Boathouse

Listing Date: 2 December 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1021928

English Heritage Legacy ID: 466551

Location: West Chesterton, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB4

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge

Electoral Ward/Division: West Chesterton

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Cambridge

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Chesterton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in
Cambridge

Description


TL 4559 CAMBRIDGE, FORMER CB CUTTER FERRY LANE
(South side)

667/15/10087 Corpus Christi and Sidney
Sussex Boathouse

II

Boathouse with changing facilities. 1958 by David Roberts, extended to sides in 1980s. Light-weight steel frame on piled concrete foundations infilled with brick and some weatherboarding to first floor front; shallow first floor houses changing facilities and has flat felt roof, deeper three bay boat store below has lean-to extensions and pitched roof. Symmetrical composition of three main bays to front, and the set-back lean-tos either side, all with folding doors under clerestory glazing' now blocked. Above, changing rooms with near-continuous broad band of glazing, with square panes and doors at either end, are set behind steel and timber balcony and reached via spiral concrete stairs to either side, with powerful newel posts and slender steel balustrade. Shields of the colleges sharing the boathouse to front, and four flagpoles complete the delicate grid of the composition. Interior of the ground floor a simple store; the upper floor noted to be 'spartan', as it does not overlook racing and elaborate facilities were not required.
Rowing started at Cambridge in the 1820s (before it was introduced at Oxford); Corpus Christi College founded its first club in 1827-30; Sidney Sussex followed in the early 1830s. They were the first colleges to build a combined boathouse. This was the first modern style boathouse built at Cambridge, and was widely imitated here and elsewhere. It is a graceful little building, making the most of a small budget ("13,000). The thin, angular lines are appropriate to its river setting, and contrast with the more flamboyant styles of the earlier boathouses alongside.

Listing NGR: TL4579859099

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.