This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4338 / 51°26'1"N
Longitude: -2.1823 / 2°10'56"W
OS Eastings: 387423
OS Northings: 170550
OS Grid: ST874705
Mapcode National: GBR 1RH.12G
Mapcode Global: VH96J.4755
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1021975
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315056
Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13
Civil Parish: Corsham
Built-Up Area: Corsham
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Greater Corsham
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
CORSHAM CHURCH SQUARE
5/31 Church of St. Bartholomew
Anglican parish church, C12 origins, early C14 north aisle, later
C14 south aisle and east end remodelled in C15. Heavily restored
1875-8 by G.E. Street when central tower was removed and south
tower and spire added. Chancel restored at same time by C.F. Hansom
who added north, Methuen Chapel 1878-9. Ashlar with stone tiled
roofs and coped gables. Nave west end has C15 three-light west
window, ashlar stair tower to right and C16 three-light mullion
window with hoodmould in gable. South aisle has stepped buttress
to west end left and diagonal buttress to right, 3-light C14 west
window with flowing tracery and south side C14 windows with C15
tracery, 2-light and 3-light left of porch, 3-light right of porch.
Three-light windows had unusual battlemented ashlar dormers over,
added 1631 to light gallery but removed c1875-8. Large projecting
C15 two-storey battlemented porch with diagonal buttresses, high
plinth, moulded string courses and sundial over centre battlement.
Moulded south arch breaking string course and 2-light window with
hoodmould over flanked by two ornate statue niches with crocketted
canopies. Larger west side statue niche with canopy breaking upper
string course. Inner tierceron-star vault with carved heads to
centre boss and angle corbels. Moulded pointed south doorway, door
by Street, 1684 plaque to W. Tasker over. Stone seats and south
side C17 Tudor arched moulded doorway with plank door giving access
to east side addition to porch containing stairs to former gallery
added 1631 by E and M. Hungerford. Addition has ornate battlements
with Hungerford arms, initials and date, diagonal buttress and east
side stepped buttress and two 2-light cusped-head mullion windows.
Transeptal south tower by Street of three stages with clasping
buttresses up to second stage and east side stair tower. South-
west buttress has carved War Memorial rood c1922 by H. Brakspear.
Large Perpendicular style south window over narrow door, lancets
to second stage south and east, clock to west side, 2-light
Perpendicular style bell openings to third stage with pierced
parapet and pinnacles over. Recessed octagonal spire with
pinnacles at diagonal bases and gabled 2-light openings at bases of
cardinal faces. South chancel aisle rebuilt in C15 with 2 broad
four-centred Perpendicular south windows with carved head stops to
hoodmoulds. Similar east window but without head stops. East
end of chapel has inserted floor for consistory court room and
windows are part infilled with ashlar. Chancel east end is C15
with diagonal buttresses, blocked south window, 3-light east and
north windows. North chancel aisle was rebuilt c1465-80 for T.
Tropenell of Great Chalfield, south-east buttress part obscured by
chancel, diagonal north-east buttress, 3-light east window and two
3-light north windows. North aisle is early C14, gabled to east
and west with Methuen Chapel added 1878-9 projecting north. Chapel
is heavily detailed in coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, north
rose window, east 3-light window and west ornate doorway with
Methuen monogram and 2-light window to right. Aisle beyond has 2
buttresses added 1816 and 2 early C14 2-light windows flanking
restored Norman north doorway with zig-zag arch, presumably resited
from a C12 north aisle. At west end C14 three-light window over
late Cl7 moulded basket-arched doorway with keystone, imposts and
broad curved hood on brackets.
Interior: wagon roofs to nave, aisles and north-east chapel,
plaster removed except in north east chapel. Panelled C15 roof to
south-east chapel extending one bay into south aisle. C19 panelled
chancel roof. Nave 4-bay Norman arcades with scallop caps, heavily
renewed, west end bay evidently added. Additional east bay added
1878 in place of crossing tower. c1878 glass to west window and
one south window. c1850 stone pulpit. C15 octagonal font. North-
east chapel has C14 arches to north aisle and chancel, arch to
north aisle with heavily restored C15 stone screen with fan-
vaulting under cornice. East window glass of c1878. South-east
chapel has matching stone screen of 1929 by H. Brakspear. South
window 1906 by Comper. c1878 chancel arch, marble sanctuary
paving and Perpendicular style panelling to reredos and side walls.
Two c1880 angel statues by Sir J.E. Boehm. C15 panelled pair of
arches to south chapel with carved angel corbel. East window of
c1892 in style of Kempe. Consistory room at east end of south-east
chapel has Tudor-arched doorway with plank door, wall above has C15
C15 Perpendicular painted wooden panelled gallery, possibly reset
from a rood screen. Numerous monuments, notably in north-east
chapel very large C15 carved chest tomb of T. Tropenell of Great
Chalfield and small C15 chest tomb of C. Tropenell. In Methuen
chapel Alice Cobb alabaster memorial of c1630 removed from
Adderbury, Oxon, and reconstructred, and sleeping child effigy of
Emma Methuen by J.G. Lough 1860. In north aisle plain neo-Grec
memorial to E. Harington, died 1817, by C. Rossi. In chancel fine
1632 memorial to J. and T. Hulbert with similar addition to J.
Hulbert, died 1653. Numerous reset C17 and C18 monuments in south
t:ower, notably to R. Lewis died 1706 and N. Handcock died 1693.
Further memorials in south-east chapel, notably to W. Chapman died
1675 and in chancel, notably to E. Rede, died 1617.
(C. Lewis, The Church Rambler, 2nd Ser. 1878;
N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975;
H. Brakspear, The Church of Saint Bartholomew, Corsham, n.d.).
Listing NGR: ST8742470553
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 29 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings