History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Corsham Court

A Grade I Listed Building in Corsham, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.435 / 51°26'6"N

Longitude: -2.1824 / 2°10'56"W

OS Eastings: 387415

OS Northings: 170684

OS Grid: ST874706

Mapcode National: GBR 1R9.T8V

Mapcode Global: VH96J.4637

Plus Code: 9C3VCRP9+22

Entry Name: Corsham Court

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022004

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315124

ID on this website: 101022004

Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Corsham

Built-Up Area: Corsham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Greater Corsham

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Tagged with: English country house Museum Historic house museum Garden

Find accommodation in


ST 8770
Corsham Court

Country house, 1582, for T. Smythe, enlarged 1760-6 by L. Brown for
P. Methuen, altered 1795-1803 by J. Nash for P.C. Methuen and 1846-
9 by T. Methuen for 1st Lord Methuen. Ashlar with stone tiled
roofs, basement and two-and-a-half storeys. Main south front has
recessed 3-bay centre, dated 1582, with wings projecting by 2 bays
and 2-bay ends, the outerbay of each wing a matching addition of
c1760 by Brown. Coped gables with heraldic finials to each bay and
3-light attic mullion windows with hoodmoulds. Main floors have
moulded courses carried around projecting 2-storey bay-windows, 3
to south front, 2 to south end of each wing, all bays pedimented
with heraldic finials except for centre porch-bay which has semi-
circular carved head with finials. Mullion-and-transom windows.
Centre bay has Doric porch with clustered piers, entablature,
broken forward over piers, carved panel over with flanking panels
and first floor mullion-and-transom window as elsewhere but with
sill course. Windows each side of centre bay and side lights to
bays are apparently later additions, though all the bays may have
been reconstructed by Brown. Hexagonal leaded panes throughout.
East front added by Brown in Palladian style was remodelled by Nash
in Tudor-style, 2-storeys with low basement, 2-5-2 windows, the
outer bays flanked by octagonal turrets. Dripcourses to each
floor, crenellated parapet. Nine-pane upper windows, 12-pane
below, all with hoodmoulds, outer windows closely paired. Central
first floor canted oriel of 1-3-1 Tudor-arched lights. North end
turret was replaced in 1846-7, the east front being intended for
remodelling to match north. North front added by Bellamy,
replacing a Gothic north front by Nash, itself replacing a
Palladian front of 1747 by N. Ireson. Bellamy's front has massive
projecting central 4-storey stair tower, 2-window, 2-storey
sections each side and projecting 3-storey, 3-window wings flanked
on inner returns by 2-storey one-window sections with curved heads
based on 1582 south front. Detail is generally based on Elizabethan
with motifs from south front but with heavy balustraded parapets
and pinnacles. At north-west end a low Gothic octagonal dairy
survives from Nash's work. West front is service end with, to
right, return of Brown's addition with gable, as on south front,
first floor Venetian window and 2 small quatrefoils below. To
left, in angle to adjoining range, 2-storey square-plan block with
cornice and stone-tiled square dome, 9-pane upper window and
elliptical arches with keystone and impost blocks to south and west
side, south side with door and west blank. Built by Brown as a
muniment room and incorporating a reused medieval vault in the
ground floor. Beyond, 'L'-plan 2-storey range by Brown with
crenellations added by Nash, sashes, paired to ground floors and
arched doors in angle set within enclosed porch.
Interior: outstanding surviving interiors of 1760-6 with highly
ornate plasterwork by T. Stocking and fireplaces by Scheemakers,
notably the 72' picture gallery on east side, Cabinet Room to south
and State Bedroom to west. In west wing former Library also of
1760-6 and present Library by Nash. Central part of the house
remodelled by Bellamy including Italianate imperial staircase.
Nash's hall fireplace survives in former servants hall on north
side. Upper floor has fine early to mid C18 south-west room with
panelling and Chinese wallpaper. Several c1800-30 fireplaces
survive. Attic south-west room has C16 fireplace and cupboard
(F.J. Ladd, Architects at Corsham Court, 1979;
C.L. 20 and 27.11.1937;
N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975 192-4.)

Listing NGR: ST8735570584

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.