This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6212 / 51°37'16"N
Longitude: -1.9925 / 1°59'32"W
OS Eastings: 400616
OS Northings: 191373
OS Grid: SU006913
Mapcode National: GBR 2QR.72V
Mapcode Global: VHB33.FJ01
Entry Name: The Mansells
Listing Date: 12 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022257
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315739
Location: Minety, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: Minety
Built-Up Area: Upper Minety
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Minety
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
SU 09 SSW MINETY OAKSEY ROAD, Upper Minety
4/117 The Mansells
Detached house. Dated 'EP / 1656' on main door lintel (probably
for Edward Pleydell) with c1700 addition and considerable late C19
additions: for William Oliver (dated 'WO / 1899' on north chimney
flue) and further early C20 alterations and additions. Squared and
coursed rubble with some render, some roughcast to C19 and C20
additions, some half-timbering, some timber lintels, stone
dressings and stone slate roofs with stone stacks. Irregular H-
shaped plan with central 1656 core wing, south-east advanced 1700
addition, south-west C20 kitchen wing and late C19 north range
whose north-east corner may be of earlier date though much
remodelled. U-shaped south-east front with 1700 range of 2 storey
and attic to left, central 1656 block of 2 storeys and attic, 2
windows. and late C19 wing of 2 storeys and attic to right. C17
block has 2 and 3-light ovolo-moulded mullions; 2 hipped dormers.
1700 block has 3-light oak mullions with small leaded pane
casements, bracketted cornice, one hipped dormer and hipped roof to
south-east end. Leaded pane casement fenestration to C19 wing with
half-timbering to north-east oriel window. Doorway to left in
angle between ranges with C20 porch, outer C17 plank door and inner
Tudor-arch. Triple-canted bay in corresponding corner to right
with tall cusped lights.
Interior: C15 timber traceried ceiling in ground floor room to
north-west; various sections of panelling of different dates
throughout ground floor rooms, all inserted in the house by William
Oliver. Chamfered beams in C17 block with plank screens;
inglenook fireplace in left-hand rear room. Ground floor room to
1700 addition has moulded beams and cornice.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: SU0061691373
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings