History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Kington St. Michael, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.4986 / 51°29'55"N

Longitude: -2.1649 / 2°9'53"W

OS Eastings: 388650

OS Northings: 177757

OS Grid: ST886777

Mapcode National: GBR 1QJ.ZDT

Mapcode Global: VH964.FLCH

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Last Amended: 29 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022325

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315918

Location: Kington St. Michael, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Kington St. Michael

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Kington St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Yatton Keynell

Listing Text

ST 87 NE

7/105 Manor Farmhouse
(formerly listed as Easton
20.12.60 Piercy Farmhouse)


Farmhouse, dated 1631, roughcast rubble stone with ashlar
dressings, coped gables and ashlar stacks, three diagonal shafts on
main ridge and two similar on rear chimney gable. Two storeys and
attic, formal three-gabled south front with ovolo-moulded mullion
windows, 2-light with hoodmould to attic, 3-light with dripcourse
to first floor and 4-light with dripcourse to ground floor, each
side of late C19 or early C20 gabled porch. Old photographs show
3-light window in centre. Moulded plinth. West end gable has
similar window each floor. East end gable has similar attic 2-
light and c1900 added outbuilding to east. Old photographs show
similar fenestration to west gable and a second gable to right with
fenestration as for a staircase. Rear has chimney gable to right
with date plaque ILAL 1631 and gable to left, then c1900 two-storey
parallel rear range. Estate belonged to the Lyte family in C16,
sold to J. Langton 1618. Kilvert describes the house as ruinous in
1871, the 'great hall and the grand staircase both gone'. It was
repaired for the Neeld estate c1900. The panelling in the Manor
House, Castle Combe is said to have come from here, dated TL 1669
for Thomas Langton.
(Wilts Arch Mag, 4 1857 36 ff; J. Badeni, Wiltshire Forefathers,
1960 51-3; W. Plomer ed Kilvert's Diaries, 1969 2 20)

Listing NGR: ST8865077757

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.