History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mount House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Somerford, Wiltshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5462 / 51°32'46"N

Longitude: -2.0533 / 2°3'12"W

OS Eastings: 396397

OS Northings: 183035

OS Grid: ST963830

Mapcode National: GBR 2RM.3NW

Mapcode Global: VHB3G.CDBJ

Plus Code: 9C3VGWWW+FM

Entry Name: The Mount House

Listing Date: 12 December 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022515

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316336

ID on this website: 101022515

Location: Great Somerford, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Great Somerford

Built-Up Area: Great Somerford

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Great Somerford

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in
Great Somerford


ST 98 SE
3/210 The Mount House
House, C16 refronted in early C19, rubble stone with roughcast
front, stone slate roofs. Two storeys and attic. Three window
formal front with ashlar ridge stack and end stacks. Raised angle
piers to centre bay and outer angles, timber eaves cornice and
centre pediment. First floor 12-pane sash each side and round-
headed centre window. Ground floor French window each side with
margin glazing bars and centre double half-glazed doors in wrought-
iron tent porch. Rubble stone east wall and plinth of rear wall,
roughcast above with one-window range of casement pairs. In angle
to rear wing flat-roofed stair tower, roughcast with north cross
window and open ground floor with framed plank door within. Rear
wing has ridge stack, one hipped dormer and leaded casements,
casement pair each floor to left, then casement each floor, then 2-
storey gabled porch with small pair of sashes over flat-headed
entry. Ashlar base. Timber-frame wall of main house exposed
within porch. Plank door. Casement to right of porch and end wall
lean-to with large red brick stack and slate roof.
Interior: framing apparently of a single build with bar-stopped
beams and one compartmental ceiling in rear wing. Late C17 or
early C18 stair with original folding door at foot and sliding
shutters to stair-light and turned balusters at landing. One
upper room in rear wing has early C18 panelling and bolection-
moulded fireplace. The Mount House was the manor house of
Somerford Maltravers, held in middle ages by Maltravers family,
said to have been rebuilt shortly before sale in 1575 to John Yewe
or Yeo, clothier. Held by Jason family 1609-98, bought 1698 by
John Smith of Wanborough and held by Smith family and descendants
until 1940. Refronting was probably for Dr William Smith, died
1833, who inherited in 1798.
(P. Hobbs, Somerford Magna, 1982)

Listing NGR: ST9639683038

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.