History in Structure

The Manor House and 2 Garden Gateways to South

A Grade II Listed Building in Colerne, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4396 / 51°26'22"N

Longitude: -2.2585 / 2°15'30"W

OS Eastings: 382128

OS Northings: 171210

OS Grid: ST821712

Mapcode National: GBR 0PV.RSQ

Mapcode Global: VH96G.S2WQ

Plus Code: 9C3VCPQR+RH

Entry Name: The Manor House and 2 Garden Gateways to South

Listing Date: 9 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022940

English Heritage Legacy ID: 317393

ID on this website: 101022940

Location: Colerne, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Colerne

Built-Up Area: Colerne Airfield

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Colerne with N Wraxall

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


ST 8271
(east side)
8/301 The Manor House and 2 garden
gateways to south


House, dated 1689 but of earlier origins, heavily rebuilt 1900 by
W. J. Wilcox of Bath. Rubble stone, part rough rendered with
ashlar dressings and small ashlar block with black mortar joints
to 1900 work. Stone tiled roofs with coped gables and elaborate
1900 circular shafted stacks, to end walls, front ridge and 2 on
rear ridge, paired shafts, except east end single shaft and rear
ridge row of 4 axial shafts. Two storey and attic, L-plan. South
front, rough rendered with central straight joint; to left, door
and ovolo-moulded cross window above, both 1900, to right later C20
doorway and ground floor 1900 ovolo-moulded cross window. East
gable end has fine inset 2-storey C17 3-sided canted stone bay with
3-light windows to front, single-lights to side. 1900 3-light
attic window. To right moulded string returned to north side with
4-light mullion window below, central king mullion. Oval light
above. North return has blank 2-light ovolo-moulded window to
ground floor. Rear wing, east front, has moulded eaves cornice,
1900 2-light window and single light to first floor and renewed 3
and 4-light windows below with section of string course between.
C20 projecting summer-room with coped east gable. West front
wholly of 1900, with 2-light mullion windows to upper floor and
attic and two 4-light cross-windows flanking gabled porch. Within
porch, reset 1689 plaque set up by E., A. and F. Hunt to
commemorate coronation of William and Mary, and an inscription
recording rebuilding for Mrs. A. Walmesley 1900. Flanking south
front are 2 opposed late C17 or early C18 ashlar gateways with
moulded architraves, broken pediments and ball finials.

Listing NGR: ST8212871210

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.