This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6406 / 51°38'26"N
Longitude: -1.8579 / 1°51'28"W
OS Eastings: 409926
OS Northings: 193538
OS Grid: SU099935
Mapcode National: GBR 3S1.52Q
Mapcode Global: VHB35.R145
Plus Code: 9C3WJ4RR+6R
Entry Name: Church of St Sampson
Listing Date: 17 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023081
English Heritage Legacy ID: 317731
Also known as: St Sampson's Church, Cricklade
Church of St Sampson, Cricklade
ID on this website: 101023081
Location: St Sampson's Church, Cricklade, Wiltshire, SN6
Civil Parish: Cricklade
Built-Up Area: Cricklade
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Cricklade
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
Tagged with: Church building
SU 09 SE CRICKLADE BATH ROAD
12/82 Church of St. Sampson
Anglican Parish church. C10-C11, C12, C13, C15, C16 and C19 by
Ewan Christian. Limestone rubble with stone slate and lead roofs.
It comprises nave with north and south aisles, north porch,
transepts with central tower, chancel with north chapel. Entrance
through C15 gabled north porch with angle buttresses. Mid C13
moulded door with 2 Anglo Saxon stones (1 tomb, 1 part cross shaft)
over. North aisle with 3-light C14 windows but 2 lancets to west.
South aisle has C19 geometric window and trefoiled lancets.
Chancel has C15 windows being a remodelling of an earlier
structure. Central tower heavy and impressive, mid C16 built at
the expense of the Duke of Northumberland and the Hungerfords of
Down Ampney, for which money was collected from 1512 on. Two
stages with large octagonal panelled corner towers terminating in
octagonal spires. Intersecting tracery to ringing stage and small
bell openings in panelled bell stage. Pierced crenellated parapet.
Interior: Nave of 3 bays without clerestorey. Some C10-C11 work
seems incorporated, see lesenes on wall above south aisle. North
arcade of late C12, piers with carved capitals and arches of 2
orders of C13-C14 date. South arcade similar but C13 with round
capitals and lobed bases, but probably a remodelling as imposts are
similar to those on north side. Centre span wider. Five-bay C19
roof. North aisle has pitched roof with barrel vault in timber.
Lancets have rere-arches and nook shafts. Transepts incorporate
early work, the north transept now an organ chamber and south
transept a vestry. Lancet to north transept. Chancel C13,
remodelled in C14 with C19 improvements. Open C19 timber roof with
one tie. North Chapel probably of 1484 for the Hungerford family.
Depressed arches to chancel and to transept. Niches flank east
window having attached columns and elaborate openwork canopies.
Central tower supported on massive piers splayed to central space.
Piers panelled and have bold heraldic decoration and carved corbels
for statuary, all in Reyes Catolicos style. Lierne vault with
central opening for bells.
Fittings: Font C15, panelled, on C19 base with suspended cover.
Pulpit, C19 limestone with stone steps.
Monuments: North aisle: C14 wall tomb with crocketed ogee canopy
and quatrefoiled base, now containing a probably C15 monolithic and
worn effigy, said to be Agnes Dunstanville, died 1442 who partially
rebuilt the south transept. Low chest tomb at east end, limestone
with black marble top, inscription to ROBERT JENNER, Goldsmith of
London, who built the adjoining school (q.v.) and died 1651. Slab
to wife below. East wall of aisle has series of wall tablets; top
left JOHN NOTT, died in Port Royal, 1790. Centre: White marble
tablet on slate ground. Obelisk and phoenix, to JOHN BRISTOW, died
1788. Top right: Draped urn with side pilasters, to WILLIAM
MASKELYNE, died c.1800. Bottom left: Aedicule with broken
pediment, to JOHN NOTT died at Madras 1769. Centre: Tablet with
recessed side panels inlaid with black, to JOHN NEALE PLEYDELL-NOTT
died off Martinique, 1784, arms below. Bottom right: Tablet with
cornice, to EDWARD PLEYDELL died 1675 and MARY MORGAN died 1763.
Left wall: Major SMYTHE, died in East Indies, 1857, by W. Legg of
Purton. Right wall: Tablet with cornice and urn, to WILLIAM ADAMS
died 1812, by R. Mills of Cirencester.
North transept: Wall monument, C17, limestone with slate back.
Segmental pediment with arms. Scrolls to sides. Also 3 lozenge
Glass: C19 glass, including west window by Kempe, 1888.
There are good C17 grave slabs laid in paving under the tower.
Miscellaneous: In south aisle at high level are built in two
carved stones, to west, two deeply carved affronted beasts,
probably C12, and stone with central moulded panel, now defaced,
supported by two figures, said to be Roman. In porch, a clunch
niche. (Taylor & Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture I, 1965, 182-4,
Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975. Church Guide).
Listing NGR: SU0991793538
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings