This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5583 / 51°33'30"N
Longitude: -2.1674 / 2°10'2"W
OS Eastings: 388489
OS Northings: 184397
OS Grid: ST884843
Mapcode National: GBR 1PY.BTJ
Mapcode Global: VH95Y.D316
Plus Code: 9C3VHR5M+82
Entry Name: Norton Manor
Listing Date: 12 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023215
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318054
Location: Norton, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: Norton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Norton
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
NORTON SHERSTON ROAD
ST 88 SE
Manor House. Early C17 with 1623 south addition (dated on porch),
1850s re-ordering, 1901 extensions by F.A. Lawson of Stroud and
further addition in 1925. Coursed rubble with flush rusticated
dressed stone quoins, ashlar to south porch, window surrounds,
stacks and copings; hipped and gabled stone slate roofs. T-shaped
plan with early C17 range to the north and 1623 addition to the
south; 1901 linking section to the east and 1925 west porch.
1623 block has south front of 2 storeys, 5 bays. Window openings
regularized in the C19: 3 and 4-light ovolo mullions with small
pane glazing, hoodmoulds and flush strainer arches. Central 2-
storey gabled porch with Roman Doric columns to ground floor and
Ionic above, both with heavily moulded cornices. Three-light
ovolo-moulded mullion to parvise, ball finial to gable apex.
Round-arched entrance with keystone and Tudor-arched inner doorway
with plank door. Tall stacks rebuilt in 1901 with egg-and-dart
cornices. Similar porch to west front dated 1925 but with balcony
now glazed. Early C17 range to north with 2 attenuated gables and
1901 ovolo mullion fenestration. East entrance front of 1901
(dated around doorway).
Interior. Staircase of the 1850s in Jacobean style inserted by
Lord Holland: early C17 panelling in Drawing Room inserted in
1901-9 by Captain C.H. Fenwick; fine marble chimneypiece in second
Dining Room with detached columns and lotus capitals.
(June Badeni, Wiltshire Forefathers, 1960; N. Pevsner, The
Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975.)
Listing NGR: ST8848984397
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings