This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5481 / 51°32'52"N
Longitude: -1.6668 / 1°40'0"W
OS Eastings: 423198
OS Northings: 183292
OS Grid: SU231832
Mapcode National: GBR 5WX.Z9P
Mapcode Global: VHC14.2C53
Entry Name: Church of St Swithun
Listing Date: 26 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023270
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318190
Location: Bishopstone, Swindon, SN4
Civil Parish: Bishopstone
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Bishopstone with Hinton Parva
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
Church of St Swithun
(Formerly listed as: Church of St Swithin)
Small Norman church recast in Perpendicular style. Three-bay aisled nave with
south porch. Small west tower. Two-bay chancel. Rubble with stone slate roof,
nave roof lead. Late C15 3-light square-headed foiled windows to clerestory
and aisles, labels with shaped stops. Two stage unbuttressed west tower with
pyramidal tiled roof and no west door; Somerset tracery. Gabled south porch
circa 1500, possibly earlier, with moulded square headed surround and a 4-centred
arch, with traceried spandrels. South doorway C12 with billet hoodmould.
Small north door (C19, facing Vicarage). Priest's door to chancel.
INTERIOR: Two-bay round arched arcade with circa 1170s scallop caps and responds
to south (squat earlier looking piers). North arcade C13. Interesting Norman
font: tub on stem, upper band of triangular-headed arcading, then a band of
saltire crosses, next a band of pre-Urnes-type interlace and a scroll pattern
with an animal; band of cable work; lower band of compass-scratched intersecting
circles. Roof: moulded ties with braces from corbels and moulded king posts,
panelled. Victorian box pews. 1637 pulpit and reading desk. Chancel: pointed
circa 1200 chancel arch with stiff leaf-type crocket nook shafts and chamfered
arches. Two-light and quatrefoil chancel windows have rere-arches (but not
in sanctuary). Three-light reticulated (probably C19 restoration) east window.
Memorial to Elizabeth Kete (died 1630), bracketed columns flanking tablet and
Small graveyard contains a number of C18 and C19 headstones and tomb chests.
There is a good mid-C18 example in the north-west angle of the church with scroll
brackets in rebates, panels with carved drapery and oval panels with angels
in the corners.
Listing NGR: SU2319583289
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings