This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6843 / 51°41'3"N
Longitude: -1.7044 / 1°42'15"W
OS Eastings: 420532
OS Northings: 198432
OS Grid: SU205984
Mapcode National: GBR 4T0.7XB
Mapcode Global: VHC0B.DXTQ
Plus Code: 9C3WM7MW+P6
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 26 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023391
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318490
Location: Inglesham, Swindon, SN6
Civil Parish: Inglesham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Highworth with Sevenhampton and Inglesham
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
SU 29 NW,
Church of St John the Baptist
Very small and attractive country church, particularly important because of
its unrestored interior. Saxon core expanded probably in connection with
refoundation of 1205 and with later C13 work.
Restored but not altered 1888-89 by S.P.A.B. (J.T. Micklethwaite, architect;
William Morris helped).
Church consists of an aisled nave with south porch and western bellcote, and
an aisleless chancel partly flanked on south side by a chapel. Built of rendered
rubble with parapet and head spouts. Stone slate roof. Small diagonal buttresses.
Traces of sanctuary belfry on ridge. Mid-late C13 double bellcote with pointed
trefoiled lights and circle - not unlike south windows of east end and triple
east window. Perpendicular square headed 2 light window to south aisle (south-east
window a C17 insertion). North door also C15 though earlier with rounded
trefoil head. Deep south porch, possibly C16, with foiled niche over entrance.
The south door with roll mould and strap imposts is probably Saxon or late
The INTERIOR is specially interesting with numerous C14/C15 parclose screens,
high box pews (mostly cut down in C17) and C13 smart foiled rere-arches to
north door and east window. Tall arcades with trumpet and stiff leaf caps
(this goes with date of refounding though south arcade in part older). Very
important late Saxon Madonna and child relief now set into wall of south chapel
but formerly outside (see scratch dial on it; further reading Kendrick).
Remains of wall painting especially to chancel arch (probably early-mid C14)
and fragments of stained glass. C15 font.
In chancel: 3-bay sedilia, one aumbry, a foiled piscina and two arched recesses
and part of reredos in sanctuary. Also C17 communion rails and table (remodelled).
Medieval north door with long strap hinges. Pulpit and tester circa 1630.
Tournai marble slab with circa 1300 knight in chancel, lacks brass. Single-framed chancel roof with tie beams possibly C13. Later mediaeval queen-post
and wind-brace nave roof.
The churchyard is well stocked with head stones, several with carved cherubs
of C17 and C18. A number of chest-tombs mostly to south and east.
Listing NGR: SU2052498429
Other nearby listed buildings