History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4-34, Faringdon Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Central, Swindon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5618 / 51°33'42"N

Longitude: -1.7893 / 1°47'21"W

OS Eastings: 414703

OS Northings: 184789

OS Grid: SU147847

Mapcode National: GBR YQ2.V3

Mapcode Global: VHB3L.X0YK

Plus Code: 9C3WH666+P7

Entry Name: 4-34, Faringdon Road

Listing Date: 17 February 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023499

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318759

Location: Central Swindon South, Swindon, SN1

County: Swindon

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Swindon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Swindon New Town

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Stratton Saint Margaret

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 28/04/2020

SU 1484 NE
6/97

SWINDON
FARINGDON ROAD (north side)
Nos 4-34 (even Nos)

17.2.70

GV
II
In order to house the workforce for the new Great Western Railway works, IK Brunel designed a new village to the south of the railway line. Brunel’s early layout drawings of 1840 show a grid similar to the final plan of 12 terraces in six blocks on either side of the High Street (from 1893 Emlyn Square). Construction started in 1842, and by 1855 most of the buildings had been completed. Houses and cottages of different types were built, as well as lodging houses. Brunel himself designed only the first block of 1842 (4-25 Bristol Street); as it was visible from the railway line, this is in a more decorative style than the others.

The financial difficulties of the contractors JD & C Rigby, who undertook to build 300 cottages but only completed 130, delayed the completion of the village until the 1850s. The cottages to the west of Emlyn Square were built first (1842-1843), followed by those on the east side (1845-1847). The end blocks towards Emlyn Square, containing corner shops on the ground floor, were built in 1845-1847, and the remainder, mostly end blocks on the outer ends of the streets, were built in 1853-1855. In 1966, the local authority acquired the cottages from British Rail and restored them. The village is one of Britain’s best-preserved and architecturally most ambitious railway settlements.

Terrace of sixteen cottages, 1846-1847 for Great Western Railway Company. Coursed squared rubble. Ashlar door and window surrounds, coursed rubble rear walls. Slate roofs with brick stacks on party walls. Each dwelling two-storey one-bay with through side passage, two rooms deep. C20 brick lean-to to rear. Low chamfered plinth. C20 fifteen-pane glazed doors with chamfered surrounds and splayed stops. Four-pane sashes in chamfered surrounds. No 34 retains original glazing: twelve-pane sashes with margin lights and beaded plank door. This is now the 'Railway Village Museum' and is maintained as a typical railway- man's house of c.1900. Interior layout modified c.1890 by the replacement of the rear washhouse and WC with scullery and a new WC.

Listing NGR: SU1467284770

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.