History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Council House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Salisbury, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.0723 / 51°4'20"N

Longitude: -1.791 / 1°47'27"W

OS Eastings: 414736

OS Northings: 130355

OS Grid: SU147303

Mapcode National: GBR 517.Q0N

Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.22C

Entry Name: Council House

Listing Date: 28 February 1952

Last Amended: 12 October 1972

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023544

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318865

Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Salisbury

Built-Up Area: Salisbury

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Thomas and St Edmund

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SU 1430 SE

Council House (Formerly Wyndham House)


(On site of St Edmund's College). The site and remains of St Edmund's College
founded by Bishop de la Wyle, was bought by the Wyndham family in 1660 and
the south front of the present house, rebuilt about 1670, with alterations
in early C18 and in 1788. South front of 2 storeys. Red brick on stone plinth
with projecting band at ground floor cill level. Bracketed stone cornice
and blocking course, and brick parapet over with stone piers between bays,
stone coping crowned with stone balls over the piers. A long front of 7 bays
with narrow flanking wings each of 1 bay. 7 windows on lst floor and 6 on
ground floor, all with rusticated stone architrave surrounds with voussoir
heads and moulded cills on curved brackets. The side wings are full height
each with a 3-centred arched lst floor window and oval panel above, with a
rectangular ground floor window. The inner faces of the wings have circular
niches with moulded stone surrounds and carved scroll brackets supporting
base at foot. Central 6 Panel double door (C18) with radiating fanlight in
rusticated bonded stone arch, under a late C18 well proportioned stone Doric
porch with blocks of triple (engaged) columns supporting entablature with
triglyph frieze and pediment. The 1788 east front Cl8 has 2 3-storey angular
bays, full height, flanking central part with 2 windows on lst floor and very
large 3-light window on ground floor recessed in 4-centred arch. The lights
have architrave surrounds and are divided by panelled pilasters and flat carved
brackets (Acanthus ornament) supporting fluted frieze and cornice broken forward
over bracket. Panel over with delicate urn ornament, no glazing bars. Additional
end bays of 2 windows. The west front has a large sham Gothic window C18/C19.
The north elevation is stuccoed with parapet and string below that is possibly
C16. There is a stone mullioned and transomed window on this front. The
interior has had alterations but retains 2 C16 plaster ceilings. The entrance
hall is in the position of a medieval hall and has fluted Doric pilasters.
Council room with screen of Ionic columns. Staircase with single iron balusters
and continuous moulded handrail.

Listing NGR: SU1473630355

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.