This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0559 / 51°3'21"N
Longitude: -1.7236 / 1°43'25"W
OS Eastings: 419465
OS Northings: 128541
OS Grid: SU194285
Mapcode National: GBR 51J.P1Y
Mapcode Global: FRA 768B.BBL
Entry Name: Clarendon House, Clarendon Park
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023949
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319936
Location: Clarendon Park, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Clarendon Park
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Alderbury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/01/2013
SU 12 NE
Large house. Probably 1717-1737 for Benjamin and later, Peter Bathurst, MP for Salisbury,
died 1748. Remodelled internally 1814 and 1920. Chilmark ashlar limestone facades and
rendered brick to west side where C19 wing removed. Hidden hipped slate and lead roofs.
Two storeys and basement. Plan has major entrance on north to large central stair hall,
and principal state rooms in each corner of rectangular plan, the centre third of each
front but south setting forward. South front deeply recessed and filled with single
storey ballroom of 1920. North front in style of Thomas Archer; 2 storeys over semi
basement, 9 window bays, the central three broken forward and quoined, and with segmental
open pediment containing recessed blind lunette. Channel rustication door surround with
Venetiqn style arched head and enlarged dropped keystone. Four triglyphs and flat pediment
over. Piano nobile has 12-paned sashes without keyblocks and aprons below sills. Inter-
mittent balustraded parapet. South elevation originally two projecting wings with
recessed centre, each wing of 3 windows in raised stone architraves and aprons. Centre
ground floor French windows. Cornices at corners only and raised stone quoins. 1814
Venetian stair window on upper floor of recessed section, and differently detailed Venetian
window of 1920 to the ballroom below.
East elevation of 7 bays, centre broken forward and quoined, and triangular pediment.
slender central doorcase supporting open pediment over.
Interior completely remodelled 1814 and 1920:
Stairhall of 1814 has Perron stair with iron handrail and bracketed treads. Black and
white chequer floor, black marble Ionic columns on either side. The staterooms all have
plaster decoration in the C18 manner dating from 1920. The NW room and the centre east
room have Adam type late C18 fireplaces with marble slips. Upper floor rooms all very
Original early C18 stairs with closed string to cellar. Brick vaulted cellars but with
one beamed section possibly a relic of the previous house on the site.
RCHM Survey notes
Listing NGR: SU1946528541
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings