This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2106 / 51°12'38"N
Longitude: -1.9039 / 1°54'13"W
OS Eastings: 406810
OS Northings: 145719
OS Grid: SU068457
Mapcode National: GBR 3Y6.5GF
Mapcode Global: VHB52.YTCS
Plus Code: 9C3W636W+7C
Entry Name: Barn and Attached Farmbuildings at Elston Hill Farm
Listing Date: 9 January 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023974
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319895
Location: Orcheston, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Orcheston
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury Plain
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 93 SE
Barn and attached
farmbuildinqs at Elston Hill Farm
Farmbuildings.1840's for Stephen Mills including resited late C18 barn.North range,including barn of weatherboarding over timber frame with hipped corrugated iron roof;east range of flint with brick dressings and gabled slate roof;west range of lime rendered cob with hipped slate roof,with low cob and slate range connected to smithy at south end of knapped flint with brick dressings,gabled slate roof and brick end stacks.PLAN:built around three sides of south-facing yard;to north is nine-bay barn with south aisle and two threshing bays flanked by three-bay cartsheds each end with granary to left over;east cowhouse range of one storey,ten bays,with bull pen to south; west stable range of two storeys with further range to south consisting of one-storey three-bay loosebox range connected to two-storey smithy.North range:sliding doors to all openings,including two double doors and two loft doors.West range has timber lintels over all openings.East range is open-sided to yard, with stone-quoined doorway to east and brick-quoined doorway to south gable.Lower range to south of west stable range has three large doors with adjoining windows to east front,window to left with original glazing.Smithy has segmental-arched brick-quoined doorway to east and two-window south gable with brick segmental-arched windows.INTERIOR:Granary and stable have king-post trusses.Barn has late C18 timber-framing with bracing to tie beams and arcade plates and mid C19 queen-strut trusses.First-floor corn mill to west of barn and over cartshed is noted as having quern stones.This is the principal range of buildings on this large (600 acres in 1914) sheep-and-corn farmstead.It is a good example of an improved farmstead of the "High Farming" era built on the estate of Stephen Mills,who was a pioneer of agricultural improvement on Salisbury Plain and one of the foremost agriculturalists in southern England in his use of advanced technology.
Listing NGR: SU0681045719
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings