This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2032 / 51°12'11"N
Longitude: -1.9158 / 1°54'56"W
OS Eastings: 405981
OS Northings: 144894
OS Grid: SU059448
Mapcode National: GBR 3Y6.GGW
Mapcode Global: VHB58.R02X
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024021
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319808
Location: Orcheston, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Orcheston
Built-Up Area: Orcheston
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury Plain
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ORCHESTON ORCHESTON ST. GEORGE
SU 04 SE
3/172 Church of St. George
Anglican parish church, now redundant. C13 with late C15 chancel,
C12 north doorway ,restorations of 1833 and 1858. Flint and
limestone, ashlar tower, tiled roof with coped verges. Consists of
west tower, nave, chancel and north porch. C19 gabled porch has
Welsh slate roof, Tudor-arched door and cusped lancet above, side
walls have Tudor-arched windows. To left of porch, nave has cross
window with pointed head, to right of porch is 2-light C16 window
with cusped lights. Roof of nave probably raised 1833; dentilled
brick eaves cornice. Chancel has chamfered pointed door in centre
of north side, to left is Tudor-arched window and to light is C13
cusped lancet, string course at eaves level, battlemented parapet
to shallow-pitched roof. East window is 3-light C16-style with
cusped lights. South side chancel has one Tudor-arched light and
one C13 cusped lancet. South side nave has one 3-light C16-style
window and one 2-light C16-style window either side, all with
hoodmoulds. 2-stage west tower is square with diagonal buttresses,
Tudor-arched west door has hollow-chamfered jambs and carved
spandrels, above is deeply recessed 2-light Perpendicular window
with C19 tracery, hoodmould and grotesque beasts carved as
terminals, string course to bell stage; single C16 window to each
face, battlemented parapet and pyramidal tiled roof.
Interior: Romanesque inner doorway has shafts with scalloped
capitals. Nave has flat ceiling, probably inserted in C18.
Chancel arch is double-chamfered with hollow-chamfering. Pointed
arch to tower at west end, has fine cusped panelling to intrados.
Most of fittings date from 1858 restoration by T H Wyatt, including
pews, pulpit and altar screen, C15-style font of 1833, 1636 Royal
Arms on south wall of nave, south wall of chancel has 1830
hatchment, probably of Rev. C.B.P.Lowther; a marble memorial to
him, by Reeves of Bath is on same wall. C17 and C18 memorials
includes brass in nave to John Elderton died 1695. Several
classical tablets, including marble in nave to John Shittler, died
1861, signed by Lewis of Cheltenham, large Gothic wall memorial on
south side of nave to Stephen Mills, died 1857, signed by Osmond of
Sarum. Some good late C19 stained and painted glass, such as east
window of 1888 and others in nave and chancel by Jones and Willis.
(N Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975; Unpublished
records of RCHM (England), Salisbury)
Listing NGR: SU0598144894
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings