This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0899 / 52°5'23"N
Longitude: -1.6231 / 1°37'23"W
OS Eastings: 425917
OS Northings: 243570
OS Grid: SP259435
Mapcode National: GBR 5PD.Y63
Mapcode Global: VHBYF.TQ8R
Entry Name: Church of St Gregory
Listing Date: 13 October 1966
Last Amended: 16 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024028
English Heritage Legacy ID: 306602
Location: Tredington, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV36
Civil Parish: Tredington
Built-Up Area: Tredington
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Tredington St Gregory
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
TREDINGTON CHURCH LANE
SP2543 (South side)
12/236 Church of St. Gregory
13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish
Church of St. Gregory)
Church. Anglo-Danish origins, with late C12, C14 and C15 work and C17/C18
alterations. Restored C19. Limestone ashlar and squared, coursed limestone with
stone slate roofs. Chancel with north vestry, nave with north and south aisles.
North porch and west tower. C14 chancel of 3 bays has moulded plinth, and offset
buttresses with small gables. Moulded string course. Chancel and C15 vestry have
coped gables, and an ashlar polygonal stack at joint. Restored C14 five-light
east window with geometrical tracery, and hollow-chamfered surround with hood
mould and labels. Small, rectangular double-chamfered light above. To south a
plank priest's door with part-restored, moulded, surround and hood mould. To
north and south, two and three C14 windows of 2 lights with single quatrefoils
and hollow chamfered surrounds. To south a further C14 blocked window of single
cusped light. To north of vestry a C15 doorway with tracery over. Above, to
left, a 2-light square-headed window with chamfered surround; hood mould and
labels. To east a 3-light, square-headed window. Each light has 3 cusped round
heads. Hollow-chamfered surround and hood mould with inverse labels. Simple
later square-headed doorway to west. Nave of 3 bays with offset buttresses,
moulded plinth, moulded eaves cornice and coped parapets. C15 porch with moulded
plinth, offset diagonal buttresses, moulded and coped parapet. Doorway has
pointed arch with many-moulded surround, the hollow moulding with fleuron
decoration and a winged angel at the apex. To east a 3-light, square-headed
window with ovolo-moulded mullions to centre and cusped spandrels to either side
of central light. 2-light, cusped, square-headed window to west. Both windows
have hood moulds with labels. Above doorway a worn niche with a small, cusped,
2-light window to the parvise above. Porch roof inside has moulded beams with
carved wood Tudor rose boss to centre and half-bosses to north and south.
Doorway has original plank door within a double-chamfered surround, the inner
hollow chamfer of the arch decorated with Tudor roses. Mid C14 aisles, with
reset C12 doorway to south with shaft and stiff-leaf capital and lozenge moulded
arch. To left of door a 2-light cusped window with single quatrefoil and
hollow-moulded surround. To centre, and to left and east of north aisle a
3-light window, the central cusped light rising to apex, with shorter flanking
lights with trefoils above. To right of south aisle a 3-light cusped window with
geometrical tracery. To west of both aisles a 3-light cusped window with
quatrefoils. To right of north aisle a 2-light window with Y-tracery. All
windows have hood mould and labels. Above C12 door on south aisle a sundial.
Clerestory has 5 three-light, square-headed windows with cusped lights, hood
moulds and labels to north and south. C14 tower of 4 stages with offset
buttresses rising to top, moulded plinth, stage bands and quatrefoil parapet.
Finials to each corner. C15 octagonal spire with 2 moulded string courses. To
west of first stage of tower a C14 two-light window with geometrical tracery.
Hood mould and labels. Above, to second stage, a single cusped light to each
face. Bell stage has 4 two-light cusped windows with stone slate louvres, hood
moulds and labels. Spire has 2 tiers of lucarnes. Stair turret slits run from
first to third stage. Clock to west. Interior: to north and south of chancel a
C15 recess. Chamfered vestry doorway to north. Also to north a 2-light cusped
window with single quatrefoil, now blocked by vestry. To either side of east
window an ogee-headed recess with many moulded surround. East window has shafted
surround, with foliage capitals. Chamfered arch and hood mould with labels.
String course is ramped over windows, and corresponds to external string course.
Double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave arcade of 3.5 bay is width of c.1000 church,
and remains of the splayed Anglo-Danish windows, and of contemporary
double-splayed doorways exist above arcade, the doorways having led onto a west
gallery. Nave arcade cut into church mid C12 and consists of round piers with
responds to east, with many-scalloped capitals and square abaci. Painted arches.
To north-east a wood doorway which would have led onto the rood loft. North
arcade has 2, and south arcade has one, carved corbel supporting hood moulds to
arcade. In north wall a cusped ogee piscina. Some medieval wall painting remains
on west wall. South aisle has C15 chamfered doorway west of main door, with
original C15 door with traceried head. C15 recess towards east. Tower arch has
single-chamfered jambs with triple-chamfered painted arch. 4 stone steps lead
into tower. Chamfered doorway in west wall. Restored C15 roofs with moulded tie
beams resting upon grotesque corbels. Aisle roofs also C15, with moulded tie
beams, those to south resting on carved wood corbels. C19 chancel roof. C15
octagonal font with flat traceried panels in octagonal base of 2 steps. Lead
bowl. Complete set of C15 benches with traceried panels and moulded rails. Some
C20 restoration and additions to seat-backs. C15 rood screen on stone wall with
tracery carving. C17 pulpit of 2 tiers with canopy and back panel. Late C17
communion rail reset under tower arch. C16 lectern. East window by W Holland of
Warwick, 1853. Stone flagged floors, some replaced C20. Slab in chancel to
Robert Morse, Rector, who died 1703. Slabs in nave to Darlingo Canning, 1729,
Nethanial Canning, Catherine Wing, 1758 and Samuel Ayshcombe, 1692. Further C18
slab. In south aisle floor a brass to Alice, the wife of William Barnes, the
date now lost. In west wall of north aisle, reset from chancel floor, 2 brasses.
One a C15 effigy of a priest, the other a kneeling figure, died 1482. Tablet in
chancel to Mona Parker, died 1715. Another to John and Catherine Barker and
their son, dated 1751, 1709 and 1715. Set of six C19 warble tablets in south
wall. Arms of Queen Victoria above chancel arch.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.434-435; V.C.H.: Worcestershire,
Listing NGR: SP2591743570
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings