This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.043 / 52°2'34"N
Longitude: -1.6756 / 1°40'32"W
OS Eastings: 422342
OS Northings: 238339
OS Grid: SP223383
Mapcode National: GBR 5PX.WQJ
Mapcode Global: VHBYL.XX06
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 16 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024080
English Heritage Legacy ID: 306521
Location: Stretton-on-Fosse, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, GL56
Civil Parish: Stretton-on-Fosse
Built-Up Area: Stretton-on-Fosse
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stretton-on-Fosse St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
STRETTON ON FOSSE Church of St. Peter
Church. 1841 by Thomas Johnson. Limestone ashlar with plinth, offset buttresses,
moulded cornice and coped gables with kneelers. Slate roof. Chancel and nave,
with west tower in Gothic Revival style. Chancel of one bay with vestry to
south. To east a 4-light window in the Decorated style with hood mould and
foliage carved label stops. Plank vestry door to south within chamfered pointed
arch with hood mould and label stops. Small one-light cusped window to east.
Nave of 4 bays. To north and south four 2-light cusped windows in the Decorated
style with hood moulds and label stops. West tower of 2 stages. To west, double
plank doors within pointed arch chamfered surround with hood mould and label
stops. Above a 2-light, cusped window in the Decorated style with hood mould and
label stops. To north and south a single cusped light. To north, west and south
of second stage a stair turret light with chamfered surround. Octagonal bell
stage, each face with a cusped light and gablet, with coping and carved head
corbels. Small octagonal spire with carved finial and weathervane. Interior;
chancel has small cusped piscina to north within chamfered surround. To east a
stone painted reredos within cusped panels and fleuron carved decorations above.
Small castellated parapet over. East window has internal hood mould with foliage
label stops. Wood west gallery supported on square wood piers with Early English
style shafts to either side, springing to form depressed arches under panelled
gallery parapet. Nave 'hammer beam' roof. Simple C19 and C20 wall tablets, one
of 1871 and 1880 in north-east wall of nave with foliage carved surround in Arts
and Crafts style.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.3, p,156; Buildings of England Warwickshire, p.421).
Listing NGR: SP2234238339
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings