This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1258 / 52°7'32"N
Longitude: -1.399 / 1°23'56"W
OS Eastings: 441240
OS Northings: 247669
OS Grid: SP412476
Mapcode National: GBR 7RZ.M3X
Mapcode Global: VHBYC.PTRQ
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Last Amended: 8 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024139
English Heritage Legacy ID: 306352
Location: Warmington, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, OX17
Civil Parish: Warmington
Built-Up Area: Warmington
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Warmington St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
WARMINGTON THE GREEN
SP4047 (South side)
9/236 The Manor House
07/01/52 (Formerly listed as Warmington
Manor house. c.1603. Probably built for Richard Cooper. Regular coursed ironstone in wide and narrow courses with moulded plinth. Stone slate roof with coped gable parapets; stone external and ridge stacks. Through-passage. U-plan with wings to rear. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range. Entrance on right of central range has fine ovolo-moulded and hollow-chamfered 4-centred arch in straight head, spandrels with blank shields and ovolo hood mould. Original studded plank door with strap hinges. Ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned windows with hood moulds throughout, of 3 lights except for 2-light window above entrance and later single light to right of door. Central range has broad external stack with string course and cornice. Left and right bays have gabled attic storeys with windows and finial. Left return side 3-window range. External stack. Irregular fenestration of 2 and 3 lights. Right return side 3-window range. Chamfered 4-centre arched doorway with old studded door on left. Second entrance has square headed doorway, possibly formerly a window, and C20 part-glazed door. Second bay has 3-light staircase windows and dormer. To rear: central range has doorway similar to entrance front, with C20 part-glazed door. 6-light hall window to right has king mullion 4-light window above, and 2-light window above door. Gabled wings have 4-light and 3-light attic windows; right wing has 6-light parlour window with king mullion. Inner sides have 3-light windows, one blocked on left. Interior: screens passage has stone walls and chamfered 4-centred archways to hall and to right; hall has similar archway at east end. Stone flagged floors. Hall has large open fireplace with moulded 4-centre arch and jambs, and moulded shelf. Moulded transverse ceiling beams on renewed stone corbels. Parlour has similar but smaller fireplace and moulded beams. Kitchen noted as having large open fireplace. Some broad-chamfered ceiling beams. Twin timber-framed newel staircases have some original shaped splat balusters and moulded finials. Heavy timber-framed partitions with plaster infill to some rooms have Tudor-arched openings. Numerous original ledged and battened doors have wrought-iron strap hinges and wooden latches. Noted as having a queen strut roof. A fine, largely unaltered house.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.182-3; R.B. Wood-Jones: Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region: 1963, pp.78-82; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.442).
Listing NGR: SP4124047669
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings