This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1806 / 52°10'50"N
Longitude: -1.3457 / 1°20'44"W
OS Eastings: 444836
OS Northings: 253791
OS Grid: SP448537
Mapcode National: GBR 7RG.8M0
Mapcode Global: VHCVN.MGG7
Plus Code: 9C4W5MJ3+6P
Entry Name: Wormleighton Manor House
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Last Amended: 21 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024403
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305755
ID on this website: 101024403
Location: Wormleighton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV47
Civil Parish: Wormleighton
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Wormleighton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
Wormleighton Manor House
(Formerly listed as: Wormleighton Manor House and Gatehouse)
Fragment of large manor house, now farmhouse. c1512, with C17, C18 and C19 additions and alterations. Built for John Spencer. C16 and C18/C19 English bond brick and regular coursed ashlar and rubble ironstone. Tile roofs have stone coped gable parapets; stone and brick ridge, end, internal and lateral stacks. Original plan indeterminate.
EXTERIOR: two storeys; seven-window range. c1512 brick left range of two high storeys, four-window range. Some flared brick diaper work. Central and right end buttresses of two offsets. Entrance in third bay has C19 ribbed door with applied arch and two rows of three panels, with overlight and flanking panels inserted into bottom half of three-light window. Cavetto-moulded Tudor-arched-light stone mullioned windows with transoms and hood moulds, mainly of four lights, with most lights blocked. On first floor C19 plank loading door inserted into bottom part of second window; hoist bracket to left. Fourth bay has blocked former two-light window and within it a C19 three-light casement and wood lintel inserted into later doorway. To right: blocked Tudor arch doorway has remains of hood mould. Right end has three-light C19 casement, with another above, partly in blocked opening.
First floor has four-light window. Right corner has some stone. End stacks. C18/early C19 twin gable range to right. Three-light casements, leaded on ground floor, under cambered brick arches. C19 casements have glazing bars throughout. C19/C20 sash door with glazing bars inserted into remains of three-light mullioned window in angle. Very large external stack to right has multiple offsets. Bricked-up fire window on left.C18/C19 brick shaft.
Left return side is two-window range. Left part projects slightly with stone coping dying back into wall above first floor. C16 Tudor-arch mullioned windows with sunk spandrels. Right part has large one-storey four-light canted bay window with king mullion and splay sills. Tile roof. Two-light windows to left and above. Two small gables dying into parapet between. Left gable has blind Tudor-arch with carved figure, and kneelers with finials. Irregular brickwork.
Right return side has two-light mullioned first floor window. Garden front is six-window range; right range taller. Left end of regular coursed stone, centre of rubble, right end of early C16 brick. Large stone and brick diagonal buttress on right. Ribbed door with applied Tudor arch and 2 x 3 panels, flanking panels, and wood lintel, between first and second bays. Similar door between fourth and fifth bays has overlight. Chamfered stone Tudor arch doorway with similar door. Large mid/late C19 stone two-light canted bay on left has large full length Tudor-arched lights with transom. Crenellated parapet. Irregular fenestration of two and three-light C19 wood mullioned and transomed windows with glazing bars. First floor has three carved stone shields, one of the Spencer arms. C19/C20 ridge stack on left. Right range has large internal stack of thin bricks, with four square C19 brick shafts.
INTERIOR: moulded Tudor arch door. Some moulded beams.
HISTORICAL NOTE: much of the house is said to have been destroyed in the Civil War.
(Sources: VCH Warwick:1949: Vol v: 218-219; Buildings of England: Warwickshire: 1966, 483)
Listing NGR: SP4483653791
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings