This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2693 / 52°16'9"N
Longitude: -1.8925 / 1°53'33"W
OS Eastings: 407431
OS Northings: 263469
OS Grid: SP074634
Mapcode National: GBR 3J8.NCM
Mapcode Global: VHB02.47V5
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 23 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024484
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305537
Location: Studley, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B80
Civil Parish: Studley
Built-Up Area: Studley
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Studley with Mappleborough Green
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
This List Entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/04/2016
STUDLEY ALCESTER ROAD
SP06SE (East side)
4/190 Roman Catholic Church of St.
Roman Catholic Church. 1853. Designed by Charles Hansom. Regular coursed lias
with moulded limestone cornice and dressings. Old tile roofs with moulded stone
coped gables and kneelers. Nave, chancel and south porch. Gothic Revival style.
4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. 2-storey porch has angle buttresses flush with front
wall. Arched doorway of 2 chamfered orders with hood mould. 2-light window
above. Moulded south doorway inside has hood mould with head stops and plank
door. Chancel has diagonal buttresses and 2 buttresses to north side, 3-light
east window. All other windows of 2 lights. Plate tracery with quatrefoils
throughout. Nave has buttresses and diagonal buttresses. North side has
protecting gabled north-west bay. 2-light window with transom and shouldered
lower lights. West front has trim 2-light windows with hood moulds, and lancets
below. Central buttress against canted sides of stair turret. Gable has moulded
trefoil window. Bellcote with altered top; bell removed. On south side is a
single storey link to the Presbytery. 2 small casements. Interior: chancel has
piscina recess, with shelf in place of basin. Painted and stencilled panelled
wagon roof. Richly carved Decorated style stone altar with arched niches,
statues and ogee canopies. 2 carved reliefs. Carved stone altar. Chancel arch of
2 chamfered orders without imposts. Hood mould with foliage stops. Elaborate
image niche to each side with richly carved ogee canopies and angel corbels,
with statues, of the Virgin and Child to left and St. Joseph to right. Nave has
panelled west gallery. Late C20 glazed screens below. Arched scissor braced
roof, supported on painted colonnettes and corbels. Small side chapel below
gallery. Shouldered doorway to stair turret with winder stairs. Fittings: altar
of 4 Early English style stone shafts. Original pews. Stained glassy East window
1860 by Hardman. Forms part of a group with attached Presbytery (q.v).
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.423).
Listing NGR: SP0743163469
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings