This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2572 / 52°15'25"N
Longitude: -1.8748 / 1°52'29"W
OS Eastings: 408640
OS Northings: 262123
OS Grid: SP086621
Mapcode National: GBR 3JH.DTM
Mapcode Global: VHB02.GJ6G
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Last Amended: 23 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024518
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305523
Location: Spernall, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B80
Civil Parish: Spernall
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Spernall, Morton Bagot, and Oldberrow
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SPERNALL SPERNAL LANE
SP06SE (South side)
4/175 Church of St. Leonard
Church, now workshop. Nave C12 and C14, chancel 1844, porch and bellcote c.1844.
Nave of limestone; north wall ashlar, but with some C19 brick; south wall
coursed rubble up to approx. 2m., with C19 lias ashlar above; west end regular
coursed. Chancel and porch of lias ashlar. Nave roof of old tiles. Chancel of
C20 tiles; C19 coped gables. Nave and chancel, south porch and west bellcote.
Neo-Norman style chancel. One-bay chancel, 2-bay nave. Porch has round-arched
part-glazed double leaf doors. Inside the square-headed south door of c.1600 has
5 vertical panels and strap hinges. Chancel has string course, carried as hood
mould over north and south windows. Low central east buttress. Angles with
nook-shafts. East wheel window with radiating colonettes. North and south sides
have single round-headed windows. Nave has west angle and central buttresses.
2-light Decorated windows with cinqfoiled lights of red sandstone to north and
south; the eastern pair are C14, the western C19. North door has C14 jambs and
early C14 four-centred arch, and oak door of 1535 (Buildings of England) with
applied ribs and ogee panelling, carving and studded strap hinges. Late C13
(Buildings of England) west window has Y-tracery with trefoil. Coped bellcote
with ogee opening. Interior: Chancel has double-framed roof with wind braces.
East window within arch. Chancel arch has C19 shafts and C12 roll-moulded arch.
Nave has plastered walls. Queen strut and arched braced roof, possibly with some
re-used old timbers. Fittings: Panelling of c.1835. C20 font. Stained glass:
Fragments of C15 glass in north window.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.1ll, pp.173-174, Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP0864062123
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings