This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2158 / 52°12'57"N
Longitude: -1.8685 / 1°52'6"W
OS Eastings: 409082
OS Northings: 257521
OS Grid: SP090575
Mapcode National: GBR 3K2.2FG
Mapcode Global: VHB08.KKKP
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 10 February 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024606
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305224
Location: Alcester, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B49
Civil Parish: Alcester
Built-Up Area: Alcester
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Alcester St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22/03/2017
Town Hall c.1618, upper storey completed and dated 1641 on a tie beam; arcades
filled in 1873 (VCH). Ground floor built by Simon White of Chipping Camden. Ground floor of regular coursed lias, with yellow limestone columns and arches, moulded string course and dressings. Arcades filled in with regular coursed stone. Upper floor timber framed with C20 rendering. Old tile roof, patched with recent tile; two brick ridge chimneys. Two storeys; 6 x 2 bays.
Ground floor: Arcade of six round arches with keystones, and short baseless Tuscan columns with pronounced entasis. Identical entrances in first and last bays have C19 four-panelled doors and fanlights with glazing bars, in Gibbs surrounds and arch with keystone. Round arched windows with glazing bars in similar surrounds.
First floor has horizontal sliding sashes above first, third and fifth arches. Right return side: ground floor has similar windows. C19 wood three-light mullioned and transomed windows on first floor. Left return side has single arch and window to right. On left blind three-light stone mullioned window, largely renewed. Rear similar to front, but of five arches only. In place of sixth arch a broad plank door under a C19 four-centred arch, with a three-light stone mullion window above and to the left.
Interior: Ground floor is a single room with moulded ceiling beams and cast iron pillars. Former lock-up in south-west bay. C17 and C20 staircases. First floor has five-bay hall open to roof. Octagonal moulded wall posts. Hammer beam roof, formerly queen post trusses with central section of moulded tie beams cut away. Curved braces and additional collar with queen struts. Longitudinal rib between collars. Late C17/early C18 double-leaf eight-panelled doors. C20 fireplace. A plaque on the exterior records that the Town Hall was bought from the Lord of the Manor, the Marquess of Hertford, by public subscription in 1919 as a War Memorial. Formerly a Scheduled Monument Warwickshire No.45.
(VCH Warwickshire, Vol. III, p.9, Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.60).
Listing NGR: SP0908257521
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 17 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings