History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Second Church of Christ, Scientist

A Grade II Listed Building in Westgate, Newcastle upon Tyne

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9728 / 54°58'22"N

Longitude: -1.6228 / 1°37'22"W

OS Eastings: 424243

OS Northings: 564306

OS Grid: NZ242643

Mapcode National: GBR SMY.0F

Mapcode Global: WHC3R.18JM

Plus Code: 9C6WX9FG+4V

Entry Name: Second Church of Christ, Scientist

Listing Date: 4 March 1992

Last Amended: 29 May 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024721

English Heritage Legacy ID: 305004

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Newcastle St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Newcastle upon Tyne

Description

NZ 2464 SW
1833-/19/10002

NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE
BATH LANE (north-east side)
No. 56, Second Church of Christ, Scientist

(Formerly listed as No. 56, The Second Church of Christ Scientist)
II
Non-conformist church.1878. By Austin Johnson and Hicks. Timber framed, and brick with brick nogging and large plain tile roof. Gabled street front has high brick plinth and recessed central doorway with three-light glazing bar overlight. Either side are single, large, three-light cross casements, all with glazing bars except the three lower lights of the left windows. Above a continuous row of eight glazing bar windows, with immediately above a further row of six glazing bar windows. In the top gable a single square louvred panel. Rear brick gable front has a later flat roofed extension on the ground floor, and above a large seven-light cross casement with leaded lights, and above a louvred panel.

Interior: entrance hall and shop with meeting room above, with exposed framing and arch braces supporting a timber panel ceiling. Main hall has four bay wooden arcades with narrow side aisles. Arcades each have three square wooden posts with arch braces, and above four four-light windows now blind. Northeast end has raised dias with reading desks behind an ornate wooden balustrade with beyond double six-panel doors.

Listing NGR: NZ2424364306

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.