This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2066 / 52°12'23"N
Longitude: -1.8805 / 1°52'49"W
OS Eastings: 408260
OS Northings: 256490
OS Grid: SP082564
Mapcode National: GBR 3K1.RC7
Mapcode Global: VHB08.CS6T
Plus Code: 9C4W6449+JQ
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Last Amended: 9 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024724
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305013
Location: Arrow with Weethley, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B49
Civil Parish: Arrow with Weethley
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Arrow with Weethley
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
Church of Holy Trinity
(Formerly listed as Church of St. James, previously listed as Church of the Holy Trinity)
Parish Church. Late C13 nave, mid C14 chancel. Tower has datestone 'Built at the expence of the Rt Hon the Earl of Hertford 1767'. Restored and north aisle and chapel added 1865. Aisle built for Admiral Heynell. Nave and chancel of coursed limestone rubble, aisle and chapel of regular coursed lias. Ashlar dressings. Tower roughcast. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle and chapel.
All walls have battered plinth and buttresses. Chancel has Decorated windows: three-lights to the east, two-light in the north and two two-light in the south wall with priest's door between, now blocked inside. Diagonal buttresses. Nave has a re-set C12 south doorway with single shafts and block capitals, and round arch with chamfer and roll moulding. Three-light windows, the central Decorated, two with intersected tracery.
Tower in three stages with angle buttresses to first stage, and string courses. Battlemented parapet with Gothick panelled pinnacles. Four-centre arched double leaf west door with hood mould. Single north and south lights. Second stage has quatrefoil windows with hood moulds. Datestone on south. Bell openings with cusped Y-tracery. North aisle has double leaf Gothic west door with three-light window above. Aisle and chapel walls treated as one. Windows with varied tracery.
Interior: all roofs of 1865. Chancel, four steps above nave, has C14 piscina now at floor level. Encaustic tile floor. Simple continuously chamfered chancel arch. Nave has a very small piscina in south wall. Three-bay arcade with round and octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. Simple tower arch. North aisle has two re-set tomb recesses in north wall, with three-centred arches and a small recess between. Rich two-bay arcade between north chapel and chancel.
Fittings: altar rails and tower panel late C18/early C19. Pulpit mid C17. Reredos 1870. Stained glass: Old armorial glass in tower south window; some C19 glass. The restoration of 1865 cost £2,000. The north aisle is on the site of an earlier aisle.
Listing NGR: SP0826056490
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings