This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9713 / 54°58'16"N
Longitude: -1.6291 / 1°37'44"W
OS Eastings: 423838
OS Northings: 564142
OS Grid: NZ238641
Mapcode National: GBR SM0.JG
Mapcode Global: WHC3Q.Y9DR
Entry Name: Church of St Matthew
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024757
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304890
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Matthew with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE SUMMERHILL STREET
NZ 2364 SE
Church of St. Matthew
Parish church. 1877 by R.J. Johnson; tower 1895 by Hicks and Charlewood. Coursed
squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; roof of plain tiles, with stone gable
copings. Tower, nave and choir, with clasping double aisles, the outer ones
shorter; sanctuary. Decorated style tower; Perpedicular style elsewhere. Large
5-stage tower has blank first stage under high 5-light window with sill string and
hoodmould; smaller windows above and paired 2-light belfry openings. Angle
buttresses with offsets; battlemented parapet with crocketed side and corner
pinnacles and tall 2-stage open-traceried inner corner pinnacles with wind vanes.
West door in north aisle has 2-centred moulded arch on shafts; similar door in
west end bay of south aisle. Octagonal turret west of south aisle, buttresses
flanking door; battlemented parapet. Square-headed 3-light aisle windows, and 2-
light clerestory windows, the latter 2 to a bay defined by pilasters with pinnacles.
Roll-moulded aisle and nave parapets; cross finial.
Interior, shows varied shades of red sandstone ashlar; blind traceried frieze to arch-
braced roof with pendants and bosses. High moulded tower arch on 5 shafts; tower
aisle arches similar but lower. Quatrefoil piers to 4-bay nave arcade with moulded
arches and capitals (except 2 easternmost which have delicate carved flowers, as has
tower arch). Outer arcades of 4 double-chamfered arches springing from octagonal.
piers without capitals, as in St. nicholas' and St. Johns.East wall has blind
tracery, [as has wide splay of 6-light window; sedilia on south sanctuary wall.
Elaboratily-carvedreredosandchancel fittings of 1896 by Hicks and Charlewood in
memory of R.J. Johnson: niches and canopied statues of Caen stone. Choir floor of
marble inlay; stone choir rail with wrought-iron gates commemorates former vicar,
Oliver Churchyard, died 1905. Glass in south aisle commemorates benefactors,
L.W. Pearson and wife. Other glass by Kempe in east windows. C14-style font and
cover from demolished St. Cuthbert's, Newcastle.
Listing NGR: NZ2383864141
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings