This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9951 / 54°59'42"N
Longitude: -1.6027 / 1°36'9"W
OS Eastings: 425514
OS Northings: 566798
OS Grid: NZ255667
Mapcode National: GBR SQT.F5
Mapcode Global: WHC3K.CQ11
Plus Code: 9C6WX9WW+2W
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024784
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304765
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE2
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: North Jesmond
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St George
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 26 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE OSBORNE ROAD
9/436 Church of St. George
Parish church, 1888 by T.R. Spence; paid for by Charles Mitchell. Sandstone
ashlar with plinth; graduated Lakeland slate roof with stone gable copings.
Aisled nave with south porch and west baptistry; aisled chancel; south-east
tower and vestry. C13 style with Venetian campanile. Panelled and glazed recessed
double door in gabled porch with ornate iron gates; tall 2-light west and 3-light
east windows have bar tracery; lancets in aisles, baptistry and vestry; plate
tracery 2-light clerestory windows. Tall tower has long, transomed belfry
lancets with shafts; corbel table under pyramidal roof; similar roof to vestry.
Interior: 5-bay arcades have round piers with high moulded plinths and moulded
capitals; moulded 2-centred arches. Enriched throughout with Art-and Craft
decorative work of outstanding quality including bronze statue of St. George in
canopied niche, designed by Spence, in west wall filled with Caen stone carved in
crocketed tracery and niches. Whole of west window and figures of east window
designed by John W. Brown (from Newcastle but then at Church St., Stoke Newington);
other glass by C. W. Mitchell, son of the donor. 2 west aisle windows made by
O'Neil Bros., London; other windows made by Gateshead Stained Glass Co. Mosaic
lining of chancel y Spence with figures designed by C. W. Mitchell and executed
by Rust and Co., London. Wrought iron, brass and copper by Alfred Shirley, Cable
Street, London; marble altar, reredos and font by Emley and Co., Newcastle; oak
pulpit by Ralph Hedley, screens by him and Messrs. Robson and Co., Newcastle.
Stencilled decoration to wagon roof of nave; painted square-panelled chancel roof;
stencilled aisle roofs. Bronze memorial tablet signed by Frampton commemorates
Charles Mitchell, who was partner to Lord Armstrong, and has marble and enamel
decoration. The whole remarbly well preserved. Source: Newcastle Daily Journal
13 October 1888; Newcastle Daily Chronicle of same date; W. F. Dendy 'An Account
of Jesmond 'Archaeologia Aeliana 3 I (1904) 183-5.
Listing NGR: NZ2551166796
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings