This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9843 / 54°59'3"N
Longitude: -1.6491 / 1°38'56"W
OS Eastings: 422552
OS Northings: 565576
OS Grid: NZ225655
Mapcode National: GBR SJ3.Q2
Mapcode Global: WHC3J.MZXC
Plus Code: 9C6WX9M2+P9
Entry Name: Church of St James and St Basil
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024896
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304548
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE4
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Wingrove
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Fenham St James and St Basil
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 26 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE FENHAM HALL DRIVE
8/236 Church of St. James
and St. Basil.
Parish church. 1927-31 by E.E. Lofting; paid for by Sir James Knott in memory of
his sons James and Basil, killed in First World War. Snecked tooled sandstone
with ashlar dressings, moulded plinth and large quoins; graduated Lakeland slate
roof with roll-moulded gable copings. Nave and south aisle; south-east tower;
tall north vestry. Free Gothic style. Double doors, boarded and studded, in
2-centred arches, that at west moulded and shafted, that at south under corbelled
shallow gable. Tall traceried windows of 2 lights to twin-gabled west front and
to nave and aisle; smaller similar windows to tower south front; and 3-light windows
on east of tower and in chancel, this last very tall. Aisle and nave have corbel
table. Tower has 2 small windows above drip mould of east window; Lombard frieze
above these; and paired belfry openings with pierced shuttering under battlements.
Buttressed stair turret at south west has octagonal top with stone spirelet.
Interior: plaster with ashlar dressings; king-post roof; ribbed vault to tower
memorial chapel. 4-bay arcade of chamfered arches on tall octagonal columns;
similar archesto chapel. Arches with Moorish wood screens on north to organ
chamber; one similar arch and oriel screen,above tower chapel, for organ pipes.
Corbelled arcaded stone frieze below sills. Marble-flagged chancel floor.
Inlaid wood altar and retable; elaborately-carved reredos. High quality glass.
Historical, note: said to be built with stone from Dobson's 1830 Newcastle prison,
in Carliol Square, demolished at that time.
Listing NGR: NZ2255265576
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings