This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6456 / 52°38'44"N
Longitude: 1.3039 / 1°18'13"E
OS Eastings: 623607
OS Northings: 310439
OS Grid: TG236104
Mapcode National: GBR WBM.41
Mapcode Global: WHMTG.0R5P
Plus Code: 9F43J8W3+6H
Entry Name: Lime Kiln at Mousehold Court
Listing Date: 10 August 1971
Last Amended: 8 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024994
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229108
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR3
Electoral Ward/Division: Sewell
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Sprowston St Mary and St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 21 SW GILMAN ROAD
10.8.71 Lime Kiln at Mousehold Court
(Formerly listed as Lime Kiln
to rear of No. 221 Sprowston Rd.)
Lime Kiln. Circa 1780 - 1820. Red brick and flint.
The main workings of the kiln are below ground and were approached originally
by a staircase down a shaft. Access is now via a C20 ladder down the other
shaft formerly used for hauling up sacks of lime. The original stairs lead
to a circular gallery with a base of flint and an arch of brick voussoirs
skirting the base of the kiln. The bowl (approximately 5m diameter) into
which the chalk and coal were poured from above has air and stoke holes at
its base, together with the grilles through which the lime was removed.
Once fired the kiln would burn for a year and would only require stoking.
It was in use until 1968, and was the last working lime kiln in the City.
It is reputed to be the last of such kilns to be worked in Britain. The
machine used for grinding chalk on the surface has now disappeared but the
shape of the kiln has been marked in the C20 landscaped courtyard and there
is a trap door to the underground structure. Interior not inspected during
Listing NGR: TG2360710439
Other nearby listed buildings