This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.9266 / 54°55'35"N
Longitude: -1.7215 / 1°43'17"W
OS Eastings: 417948
OS Northings: 559132
OS Grid: NZ179591
Mapcode National: GBR JCFG.3R
Mapcode Global: WHC3W.JFGK
Plus Code: 9C6WW7GH+JC
Entry Name: Monument to British Liberty
Listing Date: 1 February 1950
Last Amended: 18 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025166
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303872
Location: Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, NE39
Electoral Ward/Division: Winlaton and High Spen
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Whickham
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 15 NE WHICKHAM B6314
10/107 Monument to British
1.2.50 (Formerly listed as
Gibside Column north-east
Column. 1750-57. By Daniel Garrett until 1753; then James Paine.
Statue of British Liberty by Christopher Richardson. For George Bowes,
M.P. and coal owner. Ashlar sandstone. Tuscan column 140 feet high, on
base, has cornice supporting overhanging plinth of statue holding staff
of Maintenance and cap of Liberty in right hand. Source: Margaret Hudson:
'Column Monuments in N.E. England 1748-1838' M. Litt Thesis University of
Newcastle 1976; 'Pillar of Participation' in Country Life v. CLXV1, no.
4303, Dec. 1979, pp 2460-1.
Listing NGR: NZ1794859132
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings