This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.951 / 54°57'3"N
Longitude: -1.5539 / 1°33'13"W
OS Eastings: 428670
OS Northings: 561908
OS Grid: NZ286619
Mapcode National: GBR SYW.WQ
Mapcode Global: WHC3S.3TBC
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 April 1948
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025183
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303809
Location: Gateshead, NE10
Electoral Ward/Division: Pelaw and Heworth
Built-Up Area: Gateshead
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Heworth St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 26 SE FELLING SHIELDS ROAD
26.4.48 Church of St. Mary.
Parish Church.1822 by John Stokoek consultation with the rector, John Hodgson.
Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Graduated Westmorland
slate roof with stone gable coping to chancel and to nave parapets.
West tower; nave; north and south transepts chancel and narrower sanctuary.
Early English style. Tower of 3 stages has north door; traceried 2-light
west window; clock under 2-light round-headed belfry openings; pinnacled
battlements. 3-bay nave, 2-bay-deep transepts and 2-bay chancel and
sanctuary have 2-light windows, some blind; north and south doors in
transepts flanked by mullioned-and-transomed 2-light windows with cusped
arches to transoms. Blind roundels in gable peaks. Inscription in south
transept gable commemorating foundation of first church on site and rebuilding
of 1822. Interior:plaster with ashlar dressings. Double-chamfered moulded
chancel arch on half-octagonal pilasters; square-panelled plastered
ceiling, flat in chancel. Chancel has 4 sedilia on north, older double
piscina and 2 sedilia on south. Gothic-arcaded reredos with 1922 painted
panels. Octagonal font in south transept; late C19 Gothic-style font at
west end. Memorials to members of Brandling family, Russell family and
to Richard Dawes, classical style, by Jopling of Gateshead. Glass in
north transept by Ballantine. Sources: J. Raine; A. Memoir of the Rev. John
Hodgson, 1857 (2 vols); Taylor, The Parish Church of St. Mary Heworth; Gateshead
Listing NGR: NZ2867061908
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings