This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0165 / 51°0'59"N
Longitude: -0.0773 / 0°4'38"W
OS Eastings: 534960
OS Northings: 125888
OS Grid: TQ349258
Mapcode National: GBR KN6.C7P
Mapcode Global: FRA B6QF.HNY
Plus Code: 9C3X2W8F+J3
Entry Name: West Wing Middle House East Wing Turret House and Archway Cottage at Old Place
Listing Date: 10 September 1951
Last Amended: 30 March 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025426
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303136
Location: Lindfield, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH16
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Lindfield
Built-Up Area: Haywards Heath
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lindfield All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 3426 LINDFIELD HIGH STREET
West Wing, Middle House,
East Wing, Turret House and
10.09.1951 Archway Cottage at Old Palace
Originally manor house, later poor house, then large house but currently subdivided into five properties. Late C15, restored c1590 (West Wing) with large additions to east added in 1884 (Middle House), 1891 ( East Wing), 1894 (Turret House) and 1908 (Archway Cottage) by Charles Eamer Kempe, the stained glass artist, who lived here for several years. The older part to the west (West Wing) is a timber-framed building with red brick infill and Horsham stone slab roof. The east part of this has a C15 roof but the west part is of c1590. Rectangular plan with projecting central porch. 2 storeys and attics, 5 bays. Timber-framed with red brick nogging, the end elevations of sandstone . Horsham stone slab roof having end multiple brick chimney stacks and one set back behind the ridge line. Projecting full height gabled centre bay having mullioned window in gable flanked by 2 centred bays with 2 light mullions to attics and 5 light mullioned and transomed canted bays below. Planked wooden door. One further 4 light mullioned window to left hand side. The east elevation to this was much restored in late C19. Ground floor brick, 1st floor curved tiles. Mullioned oriel window, canted bay through both floors and 2 other casement windows. Simple doorcase. Attached to the north are Kempe's large extensions in matching style. 2 storeys red brick and timber-framing having gables with fine fretted bargeboards and a series of elaborate brick chimneystacks and elaborate cast iron weathervane. Middle House is of 2 storeys and attics. 4 windows. Ground floor part sandstone, 1st floor plastered with pargetting decoration of circles and gables with elaborate Jacobean style pendants. Mullioned windows throughout. 4 gables. Clustered chimney stack and high chimney with filleted flues. East Wing has further two gables with timber framing and first floor also plastered with pargetted decoration of interlocking circles. Coved eaves cornice. Two windows, including 11-light mullioned window. Arched doorcase. Garden fronts have exposed timber framing and brickwork infill. Turret House and Archway Cottage form an L-wing. Turret House has a carriage entrance on the ground floor, the west side faced in sandstone, the east side timberframed with brick infill and having attached two storey semi-circular stair turret with finial and one storey and attic west wing. Archway Cottage is of two storeys with elaborate carved timber band between floors.
INTERIOR: West Wing has fine C15, c1600 and late C19 C E Kempe fittings. LOBBY has C17 panelling and planked studded door. HALL has a very fine mantelpiece of c1590 with mutule frieze, fluted pilasters, carved brackets, 3 round-headed arches and strapwork moulding. There is some marquetry inlay and 4 coats of arms with crosskeys. Stone fireplace with 4 centred arch and metal crane. Spine beam and joists all with lambs tongue stops. Corner wooden pump inserted by Kempe with antique Dutch or Italian tiles. Two walls still retain late C19 William Morris tapestry. Rest of panelling in this room probably inserted by Kempe. KITCHEN (originally Dining Room) has a late C16 fireplace with mutule frieze, crest of the Challoner family, C19 Tudor Rose tiled surround and C19 panelling. DINING ROOM has a C19 fireplace by Kempe and Delft tiled surround. Kempe was responsible for the panelling, built in side boards and window seats. STUDY has c1590 stone fireplace with mutule frieze and spandrel with quatrefoil, now tiled with Delft tiles. First floor east wing has a C15 crown post roof with massive tie beam and jowled post. Late C19 'Adam and Eve' window in stained glass by Kempe and attic window bearing Kempe's heraldic device. Late C16 staircase. Priest hole. Various smaller pieces of stained glass represent Kempe's crest of the wheatsheaf with which he signed his work and some Latin inscriptions.
The Middle House has a GREAT HALL with large late C19 stone fireplace with mutule frieze and Tudor Rose tiles, elaborate panelled screen with nine round-headed arches, plank and muntin panelling, two alcoves, one with built-in seat and plastered ceiling with pendants, Prince of Wales feathers and Tudor roses. Downstairs are six windows representing "The Round of Life" from Tennyson's poem "The Circumstance". Upstairs are four roundels with German writing representing "Today", "Once Upon a Time", "Soon" and "Tomorrow".
East Wing DRAWING ROOM has C19 stone four-centred arched fireplace with tiles with honeysuckle pattern, overmantel with three round-headed niches and engaged columns. Fine quality high relief panelling imitating c1520 North German panelling with terms, fabulous beasts and portrait busts in C16 costume. Two windowseats. Fine plastered ceiling with pendants, Tudor Roses and panels of flowers. East window has stained glass with seven roundels, several garlands and verses from Sir Walter Scott's "The lay of the last Minstrel". The west window has The Personification of Cupid and four scenes representing Aspects of Love as expressed by the Greek words "Friendship" (Filia), "Passion" (Eros), "Affection" (Storghi) and "Love" (Agape).. Friendship is represented by David and Jonathan, Passion by Hero and Leander, Affection by Sir Galahad and his mother and Love by the Holy Family, Joseph, Mary, Jesus and John. There are also small windows with wheatsheafs. HALL has bust of Virgil and built-in cupboards, drawers and bookcases. STAIRCASE is oak well staircase with turned balusters. LIBRARY has C19 stone fireplace with four-centred arch , floral tiles and high quality marquetry inlay panelled overmantel, coffered plastered ceiling and elaborate door with engaged columns and frieze with portrait bust.
HISTORY: originally a manor house called Challoners. It had become a Poor House by the time C E Kempe bought the property in 1884.
[See "Country Life" October 6th 1900, 20th July 1901, 23rd May 1903, Sept 21st 1907.
Pevsner BOE Sussex p.561].
Listing NGR: TQ3496025888
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings