This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0158 / 51°0'56"N
Longitude: -0.0789 / 0°4'44"W
OS Eastings: 534849
OS Northings: 125802
OS Grid: TQ348258
Mapcode National: GBR KN6.BVL
Mapcode Global: FRA B6QF.H2N
Entry Name: The Bower House
Listing Date: 10 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025448
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303088
Location: Lindfield, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH16
County: West Sussex
District: Mid Sussex
Civil Parish: Lindfield
Built-Up Area: Haywards Heath
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lindfield All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 3426 LINDFIELD HIGH STREET
6/177 No 135 (The Bower House)
House, formerly a Vicarage. C19 lettering under the eaves reads "Built about 1300,
restored C16 and again in 1725" and there is also a square plaque dated AM 1725.
Timber-framed open hall ceiled over a C16 refronted in C19 on east elevation with
red brick and grey headers in diaper pattern on ground floor on brick plinth, and
alternate bands of plain, pointed and curved tiles to 1st floor. Half-hipped tiled
roof. 2 storeys and attics; 4 windows, 2 gabled dormers with carved bargeboards
and finials. 4 C19 casements with iron pintle hinges. Wide eaves cornice. The
north elevation has exposed square framing, jowled posts and some curved bracing,
also a C20 doorcase with flat hood on console brackets. The south elevation has
a half-hipped gable, brick ground floor and tiled 1st floor with some bands of
curved tiles. The west elevation has 2 projecting wings of reused timbers and
original multiple external stack to centre. The interior contains most unusual
late C14 post and panel panelling, the posts reduced to thin strips and then
exposed to form cusping at the heads, arched doorhead with durns inserted ceilings
on ground and 1st floors with lambs tongue stop spine beams and joists and an early
crown post, square in section with quadripartite bracing. Frame exposed with
jowled posts and down bracing. Very wide floorboards. (See Mason "Framed
Buildings of the Weald" p 84. The medieval door is illustrated in Mason Plate XIX
and the panelling in Plate XXIII).
Listing NGR: TQ3484925802
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings