This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0162 / 51°0'58"N
Longitude: -0.0784 / 0°4'42"W
OS Eastings: 534888
OS Northings: 125850
OS Grid: TQ348258
Mapcode National: GBR KN6.C03
Mapcode Global: FRA B6QF.H91
Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 10 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025462
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303121
Location: Lindfield, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH16
County: West Sussex
District: Mid Sussex
Civil Parish: Lindfield
Built-Up Area: Haywards Heath
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lindfield All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 3426 LINDFIELD HIGH STREET
6/209 Parish Church of All Saints
Parish church. Mainly c1300 and C14 restored in C19. Built of Sussex and Ardingly sandstone ashlar with Horsham stone slab roof and the tower having shingled spire with iron weather vane.
Comprises nave of 2 bays with 2 bay lower chancel having W&S chapel, south porch
with parvise above. WEST TOWER C14 built in 3 stages with trefoiled window to west on bottom stage, lancet to middle stage and oculus to top stage. Offset buttresses.
Broached shingled spire with iron weathervane. SOUTH PORCH C14 gabled with parvise above having trefoliated headed window. NAVE C14 restored in C19, has arcades of 2 bays, north and south, with octagonal piers. Nave roof is C19 with square braces.
4 octagonal shaped hatchments. C14 font with cusped ogee panels and elaborate C19
wooden cover and pulley mechanism. C19 octagonal wood pulpit carved with scenes
from the Life of Christ, wooden screen and pews. CHANCEL has north and south
chapels with typical late Perpendicular thin piers. 4 shafts and 4 hollows moulding
and four centred arches. East window much restored but Perpendicular windows to
south transept and north chapel. North chapel has marble wall plaque to
John Court Esq d. 1794, an obelisk with oval medallions. South chapel has wall
plaque to Sarah Board d. 1765, draped urn and coat of arms.
(See Pevsner, Buildings of England, E & W Sussex, P.561).
Listing NGR: TQ3488825850
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings