This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1815 / 52°10'53"N
Longitude: -1.2252 / 1°13'30"W
OS Eastings: 453075
OS Northings: 253980
OS Grid: SP530539
Mapcode National: GBR 8SY.927
Mapcode Global: VHCVQ.QF5H
Entry Name: Hinton House
Listing Date: 24 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025898
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360623
Location: Woodford cum Membris, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11
Civil Parish: Woodford cum Membris
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Woodford Halse St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
WOODFORD CUM MEMBRIS
9/133 Hinton House
Country house. 1900 by James Morris of Ayr for Charles Cunninghan Church J.P.
Ironstone ashlar, plain tile roof, stone end and ridge stacks. Double-depth
plan. 2 storeys and attic, 6-window range. Door to right of centre with fine
ornamental hinges and 4-centred arched head in 2-storey porch with Elizabethan
style round arched doorway with small console keyblock, framed by Doric pillars
and arched niches to canted sides. A 4-light chamfered mullion leaded window
above doorway with single light windows to canted sides. Balustraded parapet and
3-light round arched windows to ground floor either side, the arches supported
in the middle by balusters with capitals. To right 4-light chamfered mullion
windows with hood moulds to ground and first floors, a similar 6-light window to
ground floor left, similar 5-light window above. Further to left a pair of
3-storey gabled bay windows with 3 tiers of 4-light mullion windows, either side
of 4-light mullion window with hood mould to ground floor and similar 3-light
window to first floor. Between these windows a stone panel carved with the
Church crest of a demi-greyhound holding a shamrock with motto VIRTUTE below. To
far left a 2-storey canted bay window facing garden to side with one-light
windows and coped parapet. Chamfered plinth, flush quoins, stone eaves, coped
stone gable to right with kneelers and finials, 3 C20 roof dormers, and weather
vane to apex of hipped roof of bay to far left. Leaded-light windows throughout.
Rainwater heads dated 1900. Water-tower to rear left with ground floor partly of
brick, 2 stages and low octagonal top stage with stone coped parapet, partly
crenellated; rest of service wing demolished. Interior has 4-centred arched
stone fireplace to hall, a stone bolection-moulded fireplace to sitting room and
panelled dining room. The design for Hinton House was James Morris' diploma work
for the Royal Scottish Academy. The elevations and plan deposited with the
Academy show a more ambitious design for the left garden side elevation. Other
slight changes made in execution. Hinton House was one of the few buildings
Morris designed in England.
(The Builder, June 30, 1916 and November 27, 1942)
Listing NGR: SP5307553980
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings