This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9177 / 50°55'3"N
Longitude: -0.4933 / 0°29'35"W
OS Eastings: 506009
OS Northings: 114219
OS Grid: TQ060142
Mapcode National: GBR GJV.G39
Mapcode Global: FRA 96VP.3NP
Entry Name: Parham Park
Listing Date: 15 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1027355
English Heritage Legacy ID: 298496
Location: Parham, Horsham, West Sussex, RH20
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Parham
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Parham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 01 SE 11/577 15.3.55
This is one of the finest houses in Sussex. There was a fortified house here in
the Middle Ages, and some parts of this are incorporated in the east wing of the
present building. But the main bulk of the house was built by Sir Thomas Palmer
from 1577 onwards. It was sold by his grandson to Sir Thomas Bisshopp in 1597.
The Bisshopp family, who succeeded to the Barony of Zouche in 1815, retained it
until it was sold to the present owners in 1922. The house is built of malmstone, Hythe sandstone, Pulborough sandrock and ferricrete rubblewith ashlar quoins, a Horsham slab roof and brick chimneys. The main front faces south and is E-shaped. Three s nine w. The projecting wings are surmounted by gables. In the centre is a porch, which was originally the main entrance, with 2 s above it and a gable. The doorway of the porch has pilasters, projecting cornice and cartouche over it with swags flanking this. In the angles of the 2 outer wings are 2 slightly smaller projections also gabled. Between these and the gable surmounting the porch is one gabled dormer on each side. Beneath the west one are the ws of the Great Hall consisting of 3 tall narrow ws, each of 4 tiers of 3 lights with stone mullions and transoms. Beneath the east one are 3 sash ws with glazing bars intact. But the majority of ws on this front are the original casement ws. The west front has been partly refenestrated in 1710, by Sir Cecil Bisshopp, the 5th baronet (1673-1725). Three s five w. The centre w bay projects with long and short ashlar quoins and a pediment over it. The flanking w bays are recessed. Outside these are projecting chimney breasts with similar quoins. The outer w bays are surmounted by peds. Mostly casement ws but some sash ws inserted, the glazing bars intact. The north front is irregular. The entrance is by a 2 s porch, added in
1870, which is flanked by octagonal buttresses with ogee heads. At the north-east
corner is a squat 2 s detached tower which is joined to the house by a wall. The
interior dates mostly from the C16 but there is at least one room on C18 style.
The Long Gallery is on the top floor with dormer ws. Country Life 19th,April, 1902.
Listing NGR: TQ0604114247
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings