This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7982 / 50°47'53"N
Longitude: -0.5801 / 0°34'48"W
OS Eastings: 500160
OS Northings: 100807
OS Grid: TQ001008
Mapcode National: GBR FJR.XVC
Mapcode Global: FRA 96NZ.KT0
Entry Name: Bailiffscourt Hotel and Country Club
Listing Date: 20 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1027676
English Heritage Legacy ID: 297834
Location: Climping, Arun, West Sussex, BN17
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Climping
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Clymping St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/01/2013
TQ 00 SW
Bailiffscourt Hotel and Country Club
Hotel and country club,formerly large country house.Built between 1931 and 1935 by Amyas Phillips an 'antiquarian' rather than architect for Lord and Lady Moyne.Built in late Medieval Cotswold style entirely out of salvaged materials from old buildings in many different parts of the country.Built of Somerset limestone with Horsham stone slate roof and stone chimneystacks.Quadrangular plan.Entrance front of two storeys with stone round-headed windows to first floor and ground floor double window with trefoliated head.Large buttresses and large external stone stack.Between these two is a two-light oak window rescued from a derelict building near Muchelney Abbey.The entrance archway was once part of Holditch Priory and the C15 oak door to the entrance hall originally belonged to South Wanborough Church.Left side return has double cusped windows to gable and a series of cambered windows and buttresses. Rear elevation is L shaped with two,three & four-light mullioned windows with leaded lights and four external chimneystacks.Arched door-case with four plank door.Right side contains domestic quarters.This is of chequerwork flint and stone with two gables and mullioned windows.Return has three-light mullioned windows and reused round-headed window.Room to right of entrance hall has deeply chamfered ceiling and tall window seat.Large L-shaped Dining Room has very fine roll-moulded ceiling and oak screen.Four centred arched stone fireplace in Dining Room was moved from a building in Hitchin being destroyed by the local authority.Principal bed chamber on first floor has crown post roof with four crownposts,two part of a salvaged roof and two replicas by Amyas Phillips.There are numerous other examples of reused stone four centred archways,C16 and C17 stone fireplaces and screens,though some screens are probably made up from old floorboards.This is the foremost example of the craze in the Inter War period of new houses made from old materials.(See Clive Aslet "The Last Country Homes"p172 -181.B.O.E. Sussex pp97-98).
Listing NGR: TQ0016000807
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings