This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8554 / 50°51'19"N
Longitude: -0.5568 / 0°33'24"W
OS Eastings: 501681
OS Northings: 107206
OS Grid: TQ016072
Mapcode National: GBR FJ6.B1M
Mapcode Global: FRA 96QV.2WQ
Entry Name: The Priory (St Wilfred's)
Listing Date: 7 October 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1027913
English Heritage Legacy ID: 297208
Location: Arundel, Arun, West Sussex, BN18
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Arundel
Built-Up Area: Arundel
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Arundel St Nicholas with Tortington
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/01/2013
LONDON ROAD (North Side)
The Priory (St Wilfred's)
1380. Rebuilt in early C19 [not marked on 1785 map, therefore presumably ruinous at this date. Appears in present form on engraving by T Allom, d.1842]. Former College of Holy Trinity, attached to, and contemporary with the Fitzalan Chapel. Dissolved at Reformation, abandoned, then re-established in C19 as convent of Servite Nuns . Now an orphanage.
Nodular flint. Pulborough stone dressings in medieval parts, and some early C19 parts. Ashlar dressings elsewhere. Some random Pulborough stone, upper greensand, and clunch in medieval parts.
2 storeys. Crenellated parapet (machicolated on west elevation of south range). 2 ranges, set at 90 degrees, and 1 C14 wall to another, non-existent range, thus forming 3 sides of a courtyard of which the 4th is the south wall of the Fitzalan Chapel.
South elevation of south range has low tower at west end. 13 ranges of 2-light, cusped, pointed arched casement windows with diagonal lead glazing bars, set in oblong surrounds with moulded reveals. 2 doors with pointed arched heads set in oblong panels with moulded reveals, and with steps up flanked by iron railings with urn finials. 2 buttresses. West elevation of south range has 1 range of 4-light, cusped pointed arched windows set in square recessed panels with moulded reveals, and 4 quatrefoil panels between storeys. 1 door. C14 wall is pierced by unglazed 2-light windows with cusped trefoil heads, and embrasures splayed internally.
Listing NGR: TQ0168607208
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings