This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0547 / 51°3'16"N
Longitude: 0.2487 / 0°14'55"E
OS Eastings: 557697
OS Northings: 130775
OS Grid: TQ576307
Mapcode National: GBR MQQ.X96
Mapcode Global: FRA C6DB.JQ3
Entry Name: Former Legat's School of Ballet
Listing Date: 1 February 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1027966
English Heritage Legacy ID: 297129
Location: Rotherfield, Wealden, East Sussex, TN6
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Rotherfield
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Mark Cross St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
ROTHERFIELD CATT'S HILL
TQ 53 SE
Former Legat's School
14/1005 of Ballet
Former orphanage, later girls school, derelict at time of survey. 1865-8 by
Edward Welby Pugin as a girls orphanage. Gothic style. Built of red brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings, polychromatic black headers and slate roof with ribbed brick chimneystacks. 3 storeys and attics: 19 windows. Comprises central gabled feature, recessed wings and end gables. Central projecting gable has elaborate saddlestone and 2nd floor 4 light window with typanum depicting Christ with mothers and children. Quatrefoil transomes. Larger and elaborate lst floor window 4-light with central sculpture of St George slaying the dragon. Tefoliated window heads with quatrefoil motifs above and to balustrading and aprons. Arched doorcase to ground floor with dying mouldings and female masks. Double doors with chamfered panels. Recessed wings on each side of 7 bays. Mansard roofs with some bands of fishscale tiles, corbelled eaves and diamond motifs in black headers. 7 narrow gabled dormers with finials. 1st floor has 7 arched windows with mullions and transomes, trefoil heads and cinquefoil lights. Ground floor has 14 Caernarvon arched windows. End gables have saddlestones. 2nd floor 3-light mullioned and transomed casement with cinquefoil above. 1st floor has 2 trefoil windows and ground floor has 4 Caernarvon arched windows. Buttresses to left is a further 2 storey portion with 4 paired Caernarvon arched windows to 1st floor and to ground floor triple arched windows with quatrefoils. Plinth. Return elevation to right has 6 gabled dormers,6 Caernarvon arched sashes to 1st floor and 5 cambered windows to ground floor and the 1 storey service wing has 6 windows, mainly sashes but including 2 double Caernarvon arched windows. Rear elevation has 14 dormers. Cambered windows to ground and 1st floors. Central gable has transomed window to 2nd floor with trefoliated head and 3 light mullioned and transomed window to 1st floor. Right side gable has rose window. This was built as a pair with the boys orphanage of the same date; now Mayfield College and the convent of the Holy Child Jesus at Mayfield.
It was originally built for about 120 girls and lodging for a community of religious women in charge. Up until c1924 the Society of the Holy Child Jesus was in charge.(see Builder 17 June 1865 p440, Builder 28 July 1866 p559 and Plates pp560-1: Building News 28 July 1865 p540; 11 May 1866 p309 and plates.
Listing NGR: TQ5769730775
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings