This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9926 / 50°59'33"N
Longitude: 0.0935 / 0°5'36"E
OS Eastings: 547017
OS Northings: 123548
OS Grid: TQ470235
Mapcode National: GBR LPZ.LGX
Mapcode Global: FRA C62H.B87
Entry Name: The Mill House
Listing Date: 31 December 1982
Last Amended: 3 July 2007
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028227
English Heritage Legacy ID: 296440
Location: Maresfield, Wealden, East Sussex, TN22
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Maresfield
Built-Up Area: Maresfield
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Maresfield St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
Former farmhouse, later divided into three cottages, early C18, refronted in early C19 and extended by one bay to the north in the late C19.
BUILDING MATERIALS: Ground floor of brick on tooled sandstone plinth. Upper floor tile-hung, either curved or plain, over timber frame. Gabled roof with off central C19 brown brick chimneystack and external chimneystack to south east.
PLAN: Originally a two bay end chimeystack house with central staircase, extended by one bay in the later C19. The building is of two storeys to the north east and, because of the sloping ground, three storeys to the south west, with attic to no 2. The original part of the house has a four window front.
EXTERIOR: The front or north west side has Flemish bond brickwork to the ground floor and curved tiles above. There are three twelve-pane sash windows in reveals to the first floor and similar windows to the ground floor. No 3 has a two storey canted bay under a later C19 gable hung with curved tiles with fretted bargeboards and pendant. Nos 1 and 2 have simple doorcases with C20 doors. No 3 is entered by a doorcase in the late C20 extension which has a fretted gabled hood on brackets matching the adjoining late C19 gable. The rear or south east side has lower floors of circa 1800 Flemish bond brickwork with a number of vitrified bricks. The upper floor is tile-hung with a later C20 catslide extension to no 2 and flat-roofed extension to no 1. There is a central hipped dormer and the other windows are irregularly-spaced casement windows.
The late C20 one storey addition to the north west and late C20 extensions to the south west are not of special interest.
INTERIOR: No 1 has an early C19 staircase with stick balusters and column newel. The first floor has an C18 timberframed internal partition with diagonal braces, exposed beams and a dragon tie to the corner. The straight flight staircase to the basement has some C19 beaded boarding on one side. No 2 has a large ground floor room with a large wooden bressumer over an open fireplace of early C18 date, later blocked. There is a chamfered axial beam and unchamfered floor joists.
HISTORY: The property is shown on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map, without a name, but with two other associated buildings to the east and south. In the 1904 O S map Mill Farm is marked on the map, the footprint extended to the north west, but the two associated buildings have been removed. The building was called Mill Farm House because it was opposite a mill, which burnt down in 1878 and is not shown on the First Edition O S map, but this property was not connected to the mill. The building was subdivided into three cottages in 1986. More recently the name was changed from Mill House Farmhouse to The Mill House, Nos 1, 2 and 3 because a neighbouring newly built farmhouse was named Mill House Farmhouse.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: A former farmhouse, dating from the C18, with early C19 front and decorative late C19 gabled extension, retaining original internal features.
Listing NGR: TQ4701723548
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings