This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.105 / 51°6'18"N
Longitude: 0.2334 / 0°14'0"E
OS Eastings: 556452
OS Northings: 136340
OS Grid: TQ564363
Mapcode National: GBR MQ3.RSJ
Mapcode Global: VHHQL.0H77
Entry Name: Windmill Lodge, with the Gateway Adjoining in the Grounds of Eridge Castle
Listing Date: 31 December 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028334
English Heritage Legacy ID: 296180
Location: Frant, Wealden, East Sussex, TN3
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Frant
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Frant with Eridge
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
FRANT ERIDGE ROAD
Windmill Lodge, with
the Gateway adjoining
in grounds of
TQ 53 NE 7/334
The early C19 Eridge Castle was demolished and rebuilt in 1938-9 (Architect
John L Denman). But some of the Lodges of that period remain. Their architect
was probably John Montier of Tunbridge Wells. Circa 1825. L-shaped building.
Two storeys. Two windows. Ground floor stone, above imitation timbering
with elaborate decorative plasterwork. Tiled roof. Gable end to each
wing with elaborate carved bargeboards. Casement windows. Castellated
porch in the angle of the L. Adjoining to the north-west is a pair of
rectangular rusticated stone gate-piers, placed diagonally, with caps consisting
of bull's heads of the Abergavenny arms rising from coronets.
These gate-piers flank the carriage drive. Similar smaller gate-piers
with ball caps flank the pedestrian entrances on each side of the carriage
drive. The gate-piers are probably later in date than the Lodge.
Listing NGR: TQ5645236340
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings