History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Leg of Mutton and Cauliflower Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashtead, Surrey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.3091 / 51°18'32"N

Longitude: -0.2996 / 0°17'58"W

OS Eastings: 518618

OS Northings: 158037

OS Grid: TQ186580

Mapcode National: GBR 8B.756

Mapcode Global: VHGRV.RCG9

Entry Name: The Leg of Mutton and Cauliflower Public House

Listing Date: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028659

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290428

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT21

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Ashtead Park

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Ashtead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Ashtead

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TQ 1858-1958

(south side)
The Leg of Mutton and Cauliflower PH


Public house. Probably late C17, altered, and enlarged in earlier C20. Timber-
framed core with brick and weatherboard cladding, various additions in brick, red
tile roof, brick chimneys. Irregular L-shaped plan consisting of C17 range parallel
to the street with a rear wing, and a C20 addition to the front. Two storeys;
the C20 front, which is of 5 bays with a gable over the 2nd, and the 4th and
5th set back slightly, has various sashed windows, but is not of special interest.
The east gable end of the earlier range to the rear is clad in modern brick; the
rear wing is weather-boarded, and so is the west side (though this is now
enclosed as a passage). The principal features of interest are in the interior: this
appears to be of 3 structural bays, with exposed timber framing which includes a
chamfered axial beam at ground floor, a wallpost and tie-beam of one cross-
frame, and wind-braced purlins at the east end; rising from the former rear wall
of the middle bay (which is now open), is a quarter-turn staircase with closed
string, turned balusters, and moulded handrail, the landing above protected by
matching balusters which appear to be modern replacements; and, from the 1st
floor to the attic, a spiral-newel staircase built against the south wall. The rear
wing is of one bay, and has a chamfered axial beam and 2 sections of exposed
studding with passing baces in the former rear wall (modern addition to the rear
of this, not of special interest).

Listing NGR: TQ1861858037

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.