This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1705 / 51°10'13"N
Longitude: -0.3557 / 0°21'20"W
OS Eastings: 515055
OS Northings: 142535
OS Grid: TQ150425
Mapcode National: GBR HH8.DXB
Mapcode Global: VHFVY.SVB2
Entry Name: Broome Hall
Listing Date: 29 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028759
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290173
Location: Capel, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Capel
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Coldharbour
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
CAPEL C.P. BROOME HALL ROAD
8/64 Nos. 1 - 5 Broome
Country house, now divided. Circa 1830 for Mr Andrew Spottiswoode, extended
in late C19 for Sir Alexander Hargreaves Brown. Sandstone hlocks with ashlar
copings and dressings, slate roofs and stone stacks. Roughly rectangular plan.
Entrance front:- L-shaped with front drive. Two storeys and attics, double
wings projecting to right, shallow gabled break to left. 4 stacks to the right end and centre triple stack to left of centre. Two large gabled dormers with
two-light sashes to each under label mouldings, angle-bay below left hand
dormer, angle-bay oriel window under that to right; two, 2-light first floor windows alternating. Three mullioned and transomed windows on the ground
floor. Gabled break to left:- with attic window, oriel window on the first
floor and "cross" window below. Arched, square-panel double doors to left of centre in vaulted portico with quatrefoil panels in parapet above with central coat of arms. Moulded, chamfered, surround to 4-centre, arched entrance.
Double gable wings to right with octagonal and diagonal stacks, leaded
casement fenestration. One attic, one first floor and one ground floor
window in each gable end. Single storey conservatory range set back to left
with battlemented parapet, partly obscuring coved, glazed roof with wrought
iron railings of trefoil and foliage pattern.
Garden Front:- Older range to left. Two storeys with attics in gabled stone
dormers with corbelled eaves and diagonal spike finials to apexes. Multiple
octagonal, cross-ridge stacks. Two gabled dormers alternating with smaller,
flat-roofed dormers. 5 casement windows to first floor under label mouldings, including ashlared angle bay to right with blind tracery panels below lights. Perpendicular style Gothic 'cloister' across the ground floor with blind traceried, octagonal finials to offset buttresses which alternate with 4-
centre, arched openings with moulded and chamfered surrounds. Right hand bay glazed in. Three storey link to extensions with chamfered angle. Three-gabled dormers to right, outer two-storey angle bays below with stone-dressed,
mullioned and transomed window separated by blind-tracery arcades between
floors. Oriel window to first floor right, one window on each floor to left
of centre. Battlemented range (rear of conservatory) to right end.
W. T. PIKE (Ed.): SURREY AT THE OPENING OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY (1906) p.101.
V.C.H. (1967 Edn) Vol. III p.136.
Listing NGR: TQ1505542535
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings