This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1305 / 51°7'49"N
Longitude: -0.3895 / 0°23'22"W
OS Eastings: 512787
OS Northings: 138036
OS Grid: TQ127380
Mapcode National: GBR HHS.4B5
Mapcode Global: VHFW4.6VF7
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Last Amended: 11 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028844
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289979
Location: Abinger, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Abinger
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Ockley, Okewood and Forest Green
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
ABINGER C.P. CHURCH LANE
TQ 13NW Oakwood Hill
8/12 Church of St. John
11/11/66 The Baptist
Church, originally chapel of ease to Wotton. Circa 1220,doubled in size by
Basil Champneys in 1879. Hard chalk and firestone rubble with mortar rendering,
Horsham slab roofs and weatherboarded wood - shingled bellcote to west end.
Timber framed porches to north and west. Original Church rectangular, single
room, now with parallel north aisle and vestry, bellcote to west and porches to
north and west. Sloping C18 buttresses to east and west ends. 3-light trefoil
head window to west end, C19 west window to north aisle in deep coved surround
with 3 quatrefoil lights between Perpendicular tracery above and below. C13
lancet fenestration on south side of church, three windows,two of which are
round arched, one pointed. Two lancets to chancel, east of vestry. C15 three
foiled light window to east, between buttresses, under label moulding. C19 ogee-
tracery window to east end of north aisle. Old lancets re-used in new north side,
four windows alternating with buttresses. Gabled porch to west on north aisle
with.billeted cambered tie beam and gable crucifix. Arched traceried-iron outer
gates, wooden north door. Shallow gabled porch to west end with wavy edged barge-
boards. Door circa 1480 (V.C.H.) in 4-centred,moulded surround.
Interior:- 5 bay crown-post roof with square panelled ceiling and moulded wall
plate. Keel shaped stringcourse to chancel, which is floored in yellow and white
stone "sets". Three bay north aisle arcade on two octagonal pillars with half
round pier responds and chamfered arches. Two bay north chancel arcade with
attached half-round columns to centre pier. Wooden screen between piers to north
side of chancel and east end of north aisle. Triangular internal hoods to lancets.
St Andrews cross bracing on exposed bellcage to west. Fittings:- fine piscina
with credence shelf over on south chancel wall under trefoiled head and with two
drains dished in square form, bordered by bold bowtel moulding between two
hollows. C19 gallery to west end. Panelled hexagonal pulpit with sounding board
above. C19 black marble font on thick spiral fluted round stem, egg and dart type
moulding to tub. Red ochre wall painting of "The Visitation" on south wall, C15.
Life size figures of St. Mary and St. Elizabeth. Fragments of old C13 glass in
two southern lancets - grisaille pattern with white borders.
V.C.H. (1967 Ed) VOL III pp. 162-3.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.391.
Listing NGR: TQ1278738036
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings