History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Effingham, Surrey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.2723 / 51°16'20"N

Longitude: -0.3977 / 0°23'51"W

OS Eastings: 511870

OS Northings: 153786

OS Grid: TQ118537

Mapcode National: GBR HG1.29R

Mapcode Global: VHFVK.2931

Entry Name: The Lodge

Listing Date: 6 January 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1029338

English Heritage Legacy ID: 288859

Location: Effingham, Guildford, Surrey, KT24

County: Surrey

District: Guildford

Civil Parish: Effingham

Built-Up Area: Leatherhead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Effingham

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:-



6/10000 The Lodge


Large house, recently school and nursing home. The east wing was
built between 1835 and 1841 by Captain William Manning. In 1897 the
railway engineer George Saunders Pauling, who had made his fortune in
South Africa and Rhodesia, added a massive porte-cochère and a few
rooms to the east and a large galleried wing to the west. Italianate
style. Original house stuccoed with incised lines to imitate masonry
and wide wooden bracketed eaves cornice, rest stuccoed with bands of
rustication. Slate roof and stuccoed chimney stacks. Original house
of two storeys with 4 windows to north-east and 5 to south-east.
Contemporary 3 storey service wing with 4 sashes to north-west. Other
windows are 12-pane casements to first floor and mullioned and
transomed French widows below. South part of garden front has a right
side projecting pediment with first floor casement and 4-light French
window below. The central bay is recessed with similar casement to
first floor and French window with cornice and brackets above to
ground floor. To the left is a shallow curved bay with 3 casements
to the first floor and 3 French windows with cornices and brackets.
North-east or entrance front has to left 2-storey curved bay with
casement to first floor and French window with cornice and bracket
below. First floor has three other 12-pane casement windows. The
ground floor is obscured by a massive porte-cochère of 1897 stuccoed
with balustraded parapet, tuscan column and 2 round-headed arches to
front, doorcase with curved pediment and side lights and two side
windows with shell moulding above. 1 storey 1 bay addition of 1897
to right and 2 storey 1 bay addition of 1897 to right of this with
rusticated ground floor and mullioned and transomed casements with
cornices and brackets to ground floor windows. To the south-west is
large 1897 wing of 2 to 3 storeys. To the extreme right is a 3 storey
canted bay with lookout on 2nd floor 3 12-pane casements to upper
floor and 1 window on ground floor. To the left set back are 3
further 12 pane casements with curved bay to ground floor with 3 4-
light French windows with cornice and brackets. Left corner has
shallow 2 storey bay with 3 12-pane casements to first floor and 3
French windows to ground floor. South-west side has probable C20 flat
roofed extension in matching style. North-west front has 7 windows
including 3 in 2 storey canted bay. Facing at right angles is the
earlier period service wing now pebbledashed but with 6-pane sashes
to upper floor and 12-pane sashes to ground floor. The original
building has a huge ground floor reception room, comprised of three
rooms. The corner room has an oval ceiling and underneath the
pedimented projection a ceiling painting depicting cherubs. c1840
marble fireplaces and c1897 built-in seat with delicate carved wooden
display cabinet above. The central room has a ceiling painting of a
lady reading a book flanked by cherubs. The next room has a painted
ceiling depicting Venus in a chariot drawn by doves with 5 cherubs
bearing garlands. Door surrounds to these rooms have cornices with
brackets, swag and paterae friezes and paterae to architraves.
Columned feature divides rooms. Same 6 panelled doors. Principal
first floor bedroom has cornice with oak leaf moulding. Earlier
service wing retains servants staircase with stick balusters and
column newels. Other internal features are of c1897. Large panelled
entrance hall has stone 4 centred fireplace with elaborate overmantel
with swansneck pediment. Oval cupola. Massive staircase hall with
oak Jacobean style staircase with 2 round-headed wooden niches at
first floor level with plastered surrounds and gallery. At the base
of the staircase, is a built-in L-shaped seat and fireplace with tiled
surround. Large Dining Room is panelled but with deep plastered
cornice with swags and wave, strapwork ceiling and stone 4 centred
fireplace with pilastered overmantel. Reception Room 3 has a c1897
circular metal and glazed dome and wooden fireplace with eaved
architraves and swags probably resited from the earlier wing.
Reception Room 4 has a later C19 4 centred arched stone fireplace.
At the centre of the 1897 wing is an elaborate 2 storey gallery with
curved balconettes at each end, elaborate door surrounds with cornices
and brackets with swag moulding and original palton tiled floor.
George Saunders Pauling was a local benefactor having built and
endowed the local Roman Catholic Church "Our Lady of Sorrows" in 1913.

Listing NGR: TQ1187053786

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.